Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black hot toppers cracked/splitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
checking to see if others have similar problem, my black hot toppers are splitting and falling off. at first it was only one or two which I thought may have been installed on the wrong bolt. but now over time nearly every single one is now split/cracked. it is almost as if the wrong type of plastic was used in the manufacture and they are failing as a result of the plastic being cooked by engine tempratures and becoming brittle.

at their cost this failure is pretty dissapointing.

My chrome ones, which I bought new, have done the same thing twice already. I was told I was the only person to ever have this issue? In fact the inside little pins on the head bolt ones melted to the bolts. They are guaranteed for life, but who wants to replace them annually. I was told by Hot toppers that I needed to get my bike cooled down. They will only give you exactly what you need, so plan on contacting them frequently as the toppers fail. My bike is running much cooler than from the factory. If heat is going to be a problem, Hot toppers needs to either change material or go to aluminum. As my Toppers fail now, I am switching to aluminum in full sets. For instance, 3 of my head bolt Toppers went south recently so I went on line and bought a full set (front and rear head) of the aluminum ones. Done deal and actually, they look much better.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
ilovebikes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have had to replace about 4 total on all 3 of my bikes

I have had nothing but success using the Hot Toppers.... I put complete sets on all 3 of my bikes and really have had no problems. And the 3 I had problems with were the rocker box covers which I didn't follow directions... lol. Hot Toppers is a good buy and beats the hell out of chrome bolts because once you wrench them they aren't worth a ****!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
ilovebikes
1st Gear
Default Hot Toppers are a good buy

I have done the chrome bolts and even the stainless. The chrome bolts aren't worth a **** because once you wrench them they aren't worth a ****! The stainless are ok but you have to maintain them to a point. Hot Toppers - a little soap and water every now and then - they look beautiful! Not only that if you do have any problems they are very nice to work with. I have had to replace 4 total between all three of my bikes and I have had them on for years. AND THEY ARE ALSO MADE IN THE USA UNLIKE ALL OF THE HD PRODUCTS!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

Are they like hotpockets?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by ilovebikes
I have done the chrome bolts and even the stainless. The chrome bolts aren't worth a **** because once you wrench them they aren't worth a ****! The stainless are ok but you have to maintain them to a point. Hot Toppers - a little soap and water every now and then - they look beautiful! Not only that if you do have any problems they are very nice to work with. I have had to replace 4 total between all three of my bikes and I have had them on for years. AND THEY ARE ALSO MADE IN THE USA UNLIKE ALL OF THE HD PRODUCTS!
I too had always used Hot Toppers for years on 3 different bikes. This is the only set, on my current bike, that I have had a problem with. Say what you want, but trouble is trouble. It is good for Hot Toppers to have this feed back. If they switched materials or the existing materials are not capable of withstanding the heat of the Cat motors, then they need to adapt. My .02

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM
ilovebikes
1st Gear
Default Hot toppers

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I too had always used Hot Toppers for years on 3 different bikes. This is the only set, on my current bike, that I have had a problem with. Say what you want, but trouble is trouble. It is good for Hot Toppers to have this feed back. If they switched materials or the existing materials are not capable of withstanding the heat of the Cat motors, then they need to adapt. My .02

You should call them. I am pretty sure they will take care of you. They are really easy to work with.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by ilovebikes
You should call them. I am pretty sure they will take care of you. They are really easy to work with.
I have and they do take care of it. Its just become a pain constantly replacing individual covers as they fail. I have always liked the toppers, but as I'm switching to aluminum covers with no issues, I'm liking them more. And no silicone required.