Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bosch spark plugs.

Anyone using these new platinum spark plugs, have 4 points that throw the spark on them? Bought em at a parts store for my truck yesterday, and think I may actually be able to tell a difference. Could be the new KN air filter too, but I think between these 2 things, I can actually feel it when I press on the gas pedal. No need to gap em. Gotta get some for the bike and see. Tried the splitfires a while ago, and wasn't impressed. They were fine and all, just didn't notice any improvement for the extra $. We'll see how these go if I can get em for the bike.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

not in any way at all would i fall for a gimmick like the newest spark plug that has several ground pins. all i use is the harley gold spark plugs, and haven't had any issues at all. you may be feeling the difference in the way your truck runs because it may have needed new plugs and an air filter. sometimes in order to justify an expense, they "feel" like it runs better. electricity follows the path of least resistance, no matter if it's got 1,2,3,or four ground legs.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

any new plug will likely run better than a worn plug. platinum is a poor conductor that's why they last so long with less material transfer between electrodes. copper like NGK or iron like Autolite will give best performance and cost way less.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't tried these, probably won't for the price. Having lived in Ohio for many years and knowing many people that have worked for Champion and AutoLite, the one thing I believe is them when they tell me plugs like this are developed for one reason, our human desire to find something better. Because of this we will believe it works better and we can "feel" the difference. Yeah, right! My neighbor worked in Fostoria at the test lab and when they tried all different plug considerations there was no improvement in combustion from any single plug head, even with the different electrode setups. The only way they obtained better combustion was to add a plug to the combustion chamber, a dual plug configuration.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
not in any way at all would i fall for a gimmick like the newest spark plug that has several ground pins. all i use is the harley gold spark plugs.
Welllll you fell for that one!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I ran Bosch platinum plugs in my BMWs and Harleys for a great many years. They ran sweeter and for longer than Champions and NGKs. Probably done a quarter of a million miles with them. Haven't come across these latest yet.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy regular old Autolight plugs, all those fancy/smancy plugs are just a new form of snake oil.
I've used Autolights in averything from an 800HP engine to my lawn mower they work first time every time.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

like said earlier it will only throw one spark not 4 or 5 or whatever one spark will jump to the closest or least crapped up electode.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
ptcruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe these fancy shmancy new plugs are designed more for longevity then anything else. Just my $.2

Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

I ran bosch platinums in my one lunger for years. It would foul anything else. When you only have one, it's time to push when you foul that one. I run champions in my eg.

Quick Reply: Bosch spark plugs.