Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tearing down my bike (and pics of my too organized socket drawer)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tearing down my bike (and pics of my too organized socket drawer)

The weekend wrencher will probably appreciate it, but the hardcore mechanics might roll their eyes a bit. Last summer I sold my misc. tools and tool chest to my cousin and went ahead and bought one of those 300+ mechanics sets and an AXS tool chest from sears (it's not for everybody I guess, but I like it.) Anyways, I'm one of those guys that likes to be organized, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I guess I'm a procrastinating perfectionist (and proud of it apparently - I actually got stationary that's titled "Motivationally Impaired Pracristanators Inc.)

So a couple of months ago while I was staring at my bike dreading the task ahead, I decided to organize my socket drawer with those foam cutout thingies. It was kind of a pain in the azz from the get go...being a perfectionist and all. The 3/8 drawer took about 4 hours to do (seriously), mainly because I kept realligning everything. Then I traced everything out and cut it out with an exacto. The 1/4, 1/2 drawer took less time because I stream lined it abit - I wasn't about to cut itty bitty circles after that damn 3/8 drawer.

But, I gotta tell ya, Opening and slamming that 3/8 drawer and not hearing a single rattle just put a big ole grin on my face. That first night I must've opened and closed it 50 times, lol. The drawbacks are, you're always adding stuff. My wobble ext. are just sitting on top of the foam waiting for a fitting that may never come. And if you're needing to take your tools out for work - not real convenient (I have a couple of extra sets on rails in a toolbox tho). Anyways, just thought I'd post up some pics, and at the risk of being included in that guys "pointless threads" thread, I included a pic of my bike project in progress.

Fatguy

3/8 socket drawer

1/4 an 1/2 socket drawer

And the obligatory bike in progress pic

Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Aces Full
Cruiser

Man alive....so when I look up **** in the dictionary, will I find your picture? Just kidding...you've done an awsome amount of work, and it shows. Explain the tear down... what's next for the bike?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:55 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

that definetely ranks up there with the stupid threads congrats

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Lol, I was actually gonna put **** in the title but I thought some remark about different "tools" in my box.

Hmmm...the project...not even sure yet. Definately powdercoating just about everything black. I go back and forth on either flat or gloss. I got some Yaffe Monkey bars (in gloss black - if I go flat, then I have to strip those to do them in black too. I may or may not paint it (that's kinda having a bearing on wether I do flat or gloss), but I wanted a lighter color or atleast something to make the black pop. Not sure how it will look on that cobalt blue.

Fatguy

Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Thanks for stopping by Leo.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 AM
gstep51
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so where are the tools you actually use?

Last edited by gstep51; 08-02-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:53 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Only in TEXAS would you tear down your scoot in the SUMMER time!!!!! I know you also have your hands full with the baby......Dont you ever sleep....LOL.... (whats next,looks like your paint cans are a little out of order..for starters)....

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 AM
binkman78
Club Member

Looks gr8 - mine would stay like that for aaaaaaabout 10 minutes.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the foam?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fatguyona1000

3/8 socket drawer

[/IMG]
So do you organize this drawer everytime you open it?Looks like these sockets will fall over when you close the drawer.

Quick Reply: Tearing down my bike (and pics of my too organized socket drawer)