Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converters and slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Boof
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converters and slip-ons

I don't plan any serious mods to my '06 Street Glide, all stock so far except for adding a TFI to richen the mix a little (works GREAT, btw).

I did buy some SE slip-ons (don't know what the SE "II" designation means), have laid them back for a few weeks now. Mainly bought them because you won't be able to get them after this weekend. Don't really want "loud" pipes, so I've been on the fence about putting them on.

So today I bought the SE air cleaner, figure I'll the AC & slip-ons, richen up the mix to taste, see how I like all that.

Question is, can anyone tell me for sure that the SE slip-ons DON'T have a catalytic converter in them? The stock right muffler does--at least I'm assuming it's in the muffler and not in the pipe/header. I'd LOVE to get rid of that... should reduce the heat some and contribute to good running. Don't figure the SEs will have a converter. There's no right & left designation on the new muffs. Mine are the one-piece slash-downs.

Thanks to all,

RR

Oh, btw... There are still people out there saying that the '06 touring bikes don't have a converter in them (like my lame-a$% dealer, for one). If you check page 48 in the '06 Touring Models Owner's Manual, you'll see this: "All touring motorcycles are equiped with catalytic converters." Just FYI.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Converters and slip-ons

i would not think the SE's would have a convertor...put em on man...you'll love em

Old 05-27-2006, 02:43 PM
venture33
Road Master

SE slip-ons aren't that loud. Put them on, it's an easy install.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Boof
Intermediate

Thanks, guys.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Yoman
Tourer

From what I understand the 06 standard mufflers have the converter in the left muffler. If you bought SE mufflers for an 06 model they have the converter in it also. I have heard the SE II mufflers and they are not loud. Thats why I went with the Rinehart Slip Ons.

Yoman

Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

On my 06, the convertor was on the left side. I had the SE slip-ons installed before I took delivery of my bike. When the salesman rode the bike out the shop, I told him to put the stock mufflers back on. In my opinion, they where not much louder than the stockers.
But loudness is a subjective subject. The Bassani thats on my bike I bought used. The previous owner didn't like them because they were not loud enough. I think they are a little on the loud side......go figure

Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Real simple here.......

What is the part number on your mufflers????

if it ends in an -06 (Which I doubt) then they are CARB Compliant....

You do not have Cats in your SE's (Are you sure they are II's.... Never seen II's for a Touring bike)......

They are prolly Pro's.....

And the Cat is on the right muff on touring bikes.....

That is the double feed side of the system.....

Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Boof
Intermediate

Bob,

Mine are not IIs; was just saying I didn't understand that model addendum.

Put the slip-ons on today. Taking off the stock mufflers, I read what was on the underside of them. 06 at the end of the model number, and CATALYST on the right muffler only.

Seems you might be able to get around the cat. issue by ordering stock '05 muffs... just a thought.

So, I'll take heat for this, but after starting the bike & revving some with the SEs, I put the stockers back on. Though I HATE the heat from the converter (I know that's not the cause of all of it-but it sure contributes), the stock sound--sorry guys--is what a Harley sounds like to me. I know this is sacrilege on this forum, and I'm happy for anyone who finds joy in the loud ones. But there were cop patrols all around where I grew up, and starting when I was a little kid I loved the sound of their bikes. Loved that sound for more than 40 years now, and finally can make that sound with my own Harley.

So I guess there's a set of SE slashdowns and an air cleaner that's never been out of the box for sale, at some point.

Thanks for all the good replies.

RR

Old 06-02-2006, 02:17 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boof

Bob,

Mine are not IIs; was just saying I didn't understand that model addendum.

Put the slip-ons on today. Taking off the stock mufflers, I read what was on the underside of them. 06 at the end of the model number, and CATALYST on the right muffler only.

Seems you might be able to get around the cat. issue by ordering stock '05 muffs... just a thought.

So, I'll take heat for this, but after starting the bike & revving some with the SEs, I put the stockers back on. Though I HATE the heat from the converter (I know that's not the cause of all of it-but it sure contributes), the stock sound--sorry guys--is what a Harley sounds like to me. I know this is sacrilege on this forum, and I'm happy for anyone who finds joy in the loud ones. But there were cop patrols all around where I grew up, and starting when I was a little kid I loved the sound of their bikes. Loved that sound for more than 40 years now, and finally can make that sound with my own Harley.

So I guess there's a set of SE slashdowns and an air cleaner that's never been out of the box for sale, at some point.

Thanks for all the good replies.

RR
Boof,
You're not alone on the stock Harley sound thing.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Boof
Intermediate

Nice to know, RB. Thanks for chiming in. I know we're in the minority, but that's okay with me.

RR

Quick Reply: Converters and slip-ons