Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local dealer is closing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My local dealer is closing.

Found out today that come mid August, my local dealer, Elk Grove Harley Davidson (California, near Sacramento) will be closing. They are actually consolidating with Sacramento Harley Davidson (same owner) which is about 25 miles north. I didn't buy my bike from them, but had it serviced there and they were always nice. According to one of their employees, this was not by choice but directed by Harley Davidson Company. I guess Harley is doing what GM is doing to alot of their dealerships. Funny, Elk Grove is in one of the newer buildings and has plenty of room to expand. Sacramento is in an older building with limited space and no room to expand.

Makes me think about Rocklin and Folsom Harley Davidson shops. Those two have the same owner and are also in the greater Sacramento Area.

Been pretty lucky in that I have four Harley Dealers within 50 miles from me so makes getting parts or service pretty easy.

(I also posted this is the general chat forum under closed dealerships.)

Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Bobberino
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.....they have Hot Harley Nights there, always a fun event!!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah, Joel, you could be like me and have to drive 70 or 80 miles to get a set of spark plugs. sorry to hear that man. it wouldn't surprise me to see other dealerships trim down in order to match the downturn in the economy. let's just hope that it bounces back. it'd suck big time to have the repo man knock at the door, and i hear he's been plenty busy.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Kind of sucks that they have to close a dealership. But I guess that is the less of two evils--the other being closing both!!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Rich2700.1.1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of them closing in different places. Business is bad.

Many are laid off and those that are working are hesitant about taking on a payment as big as a mortgage for a new bike. Ya can't blame people for that.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with a friend who works at a dealer. She stated that Harley will follow GM/Chrysler and start closing dealers or having them consolidate with each other. Dont know how truth there is, but it does not suprise me. They are almost like a mini-mart where I live;one on every corner.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate the hear of the closing.....afraid it may also spread to other dealers. It's hard to keep the doors open if you're losing money and I'm sure their business is down a lot.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,422 Likes on 5,035 Posts

I have been wondering about the San Diego Downtown Store......it's in a terrible location.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

With the significant reduction in new bikes, dealers will have to survive on used sales and service. Unfortunately, a lot of dealers will have to make major changes in their customer service or go out of business.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think more closings are to come, all across the US.
EPA Regs, economic issues, unemployment, anti-motorcycle legislation, foreign crap, etc, etc.

Quick Reply: My local dealer is closing.