Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Ultra (kinda doggy??)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 AM
cav1429
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to harley's I was just bitchen about my 2009 ultra not have off the line *****. I now only have 1500 miles on it Iguess i need to put more miles on and see what happens

Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Bike is too new to rev that fast, at least for the first couple hundred miles. Engine will run much better after break-in. My 08 ultra runs much better now at 13k than it did when new.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by papa_freeman
OK, not intended to **** off the Ultra owners (I'm lookin' to buy one myself)

Anyway, wife and I going to Costco yesterday, and I ask her, Hey, wanna stop at the Harley dealership to take a look at the 2010's--- she says sure.

Pop on in, get corralled by the first sales guy--- tell him I'm thinking Ultra--- 2009 or 2010 depending on the deal.

He shows me a couple of 09's (no 10's in stock yet)-- hands me a helmet and tells me to take it for a test ride---

I have a bone stock '08 RKC--- no slip-ons, no nothin'--I like it, quiet, and plenty of power---

The Ultra has a Stage I installed with Screaming Eagle slip-ons. Right away, I HATE the sound-- I would have been PISSED if I had paid for that sound.

Get it out on the road--- maybe 10 miles out and 10 back--- normal driving thru the gears, maybe 3800-4200 RPM shifts

The bike had 27 miles on it, and to be honest, it just seemed sooooo doggy-- not really lacing in power, just no zip--- my RKC much better thru the gears--

Why this post? Anyone have a clue why this would be? Just my subjective misimpression? anyone else notice this--??

I know the Ultra is heavier, and possibly the additional fairings surface area held it back--- no??
I have a '09 Ultra, 12,600 miles.... I tend to agree with you, it's lacking in the power department. I honestly haven't noticed any increase in power as I put more miles on it. I just added a SE stage 1 A/C along with the harley stage 1 recalibration download (already had Rush slip-ons with 1.75 baffles) it woke up some but IMHO I'd still like more torque. I know cams, etc. will really make it come to life but I'm done at stage 1. I love the hell out of it, my only complaint is it should come with more power. It does a fine job of touring, you just have to down shift if you want it to get moving. Overall, it's the best bike I've owned as far as overall comfort, handling, etc. etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you just really don't want to switch bikes. I have an 08 Ultra, still stock except for slip ons and it's not doggy at all. I've been all over the Black Hills the last 8 days, and it gives me power when I want it.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, guys, for all your input--- some very good points--- yeah, I probably should have babied it a bit more--- I rarely shift above 4000 rpm on my own bike--- and only did so a few times on the demo ride--- it's just that I was so surprised at the lack of power that I was hoping the sweet spot might be a bit higher in the rev band--- no luck

I'm thinking it was a combination of things--- and the newness of the bike was definitely one of them--

now, get this, after seeing me ride the Ultra, my wife says no way to the Ultra--- I just don't get women--- I wanted the Ultra so that she could be super-comfy on long, multi-day rides--- have the tunes, etc, etc--- now she just wants to keep the RK, maybe dress it up, Stage 2, etc...

I am still a little concerned about it going off warranty--- anyone know what the extended warranties are going for??

thanks again guys--- good points---

Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

The extra wind protection probably makes it seem you are not moving as fast also. Try sticking your arm out the car window on the highway, leave it a min then pull it back in.
Big difference in the preception of how fast your going. Its a bunch of small things that add up to what you feel. I don't think there can really be a big difference. Besides, your getting the bagger for comfort right? You'll get used to it. For me, hearing all the engine hisses and whines because of the fairing drove me nuts for a while after 19000 miles with my Vulcan running a windshield only. And I would never let my wife tell me which bike to buy, in the end its yours and you have to be happy with it.

Last edited by tmblweed; 08-02-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:25 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmblweed
The extra wind protection probably makes it seem you are not moving as fast also. Try sticking your arm out the car window on the highway, leave it a min then pull it back in.
Big difference in the preception of how fast your going. Its a bunch of small things that add up to what you feel. I don't think there can really be a big difference. Besides, your getting the bagger for comfort right? You'll get used to it. For me, hearing all the engine hisses and whines because of the fairing drove me nuts for a while after 19000 miles with my Vulcan running a windshield only. And I would never let my wife tell me which bike to buy, in the end its yours and you have to be happy with it.
LOL--- I appreciate your comments--- but really, my wife does not tell me to do anything (other than take out the trash--- maybe mow the lawns, well, and clean out the garage-- oh crap, she DOES tell me what to do!)

Seriously, this really is a mutual decision--- when we ride, we usually ride together, so it is important that she have some say about it--- she has my back, and often makes me think twice about a decision, and most of the time it helps

and, hey, if I'm riding a Harley, I AM already happy--- so now we are down to the nits and picks and details

leaning towards the Street Glide -Sunglow Red -love the new back-end look

I am wondering what a Stage II would cost for the Street Glide???

Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

Originally Posted by papa_freeman
LOL--- I appreciate your comments--- but really, my wife does not tell me to do anything (other than take out the trash--- maybe mow the lawns, well, and clean out the garage-- oh crap, she DOES tell me what to do!)

Seriously, this really is a mutual decision--- when we ride, we usually ride together, so it is important that she have some say about it--- she has my back, and often makes me think twice about a decision, and most of the time it helps

and, hey, if I'm riding a Harley, I AM already happy--- so now we are down to the nits and picks and details

leaning towards the Street Glide -Sunglow Red -love the new back-end look

I am wondering what a Stage II would cost for the Street Glide???

No harm meant...the wifes input is always needed and wanted...mine forbade me to get my 1st bike but I did anyway. Now she is glad I did.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:44 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

My Ultra is stock and runs great. Not doggy at all. But you have to remember it is heavier and loaded for touring/comfort not for racing. The one you test rode could have been tuned incorrectly, bad gas, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
BigInjun
Cruiser
Default 09 Ultra

I traded my 05 rkc, ( rinehardts td, pc111 big K&N) for a 09 Ultra back in May. Yes, its a different bike. My Rk had 80 HP and 80 trq and was a different handling bike. The power is different because the 09s gearing is different and the stock pipes dont help either. They are just different bikes in my opinion. Im still getting use to the bike as its heavier too. But, so far, so good. Im liking it more as time goes on. i do miss my RK tho and plan to install Rinehardts, air and a fuel mgt system. That will help im sure. I enjoy the radio and cd player along with the fairing also. Good Luck in your choice if you do trade. Of course they have the Limited for 10 with a 103.............

Quick Reply: 2009 Ultra (kinda doggy??)