Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion ? S&S super E vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
buckweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: opinion ? S&S super E vs. Stock

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

I just rode to Laughlin and back to TX and detoured thru some mountain passes over 10, 000' and did not notice any difference. The first time I rode it in the mountains I had to turn up the idle but now I think that I just did not have it adjusted correctly to start with. I installed it myself and I am no master mechanic. As I recall the hardest part was installing the intake manifold with my limited tools. A tight area to work in.

thanx.....!!!! .......

thats exactly what i was wanting to know..... looks like i'll be having a S&S Super E before to long.

according to the web sites, the S&S will still work with my cruise control.[i like that!]

thanks again .. this is a great site !

weet

Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 AM
LittleSkull
Intermediate

Don't do the mistake of getting the S&S. I've had the E and G on some of my bikes and was never satisfied, but then i tried the Mikuni HSR42 and WOW! This carb is incredible apart from the difference you feel in power, it always runs well at different altitudes, different temperatures, in traffic or highway etc.... I have the HSR45 on my Electra now and can't be more happy.
Cris

Old 05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

S&S has been in the Harley game for a looooong time. I've run nothing but S&S parts on all 3 of my Shovelheads (Super B carb, stroker flywheels, cams, springs, crank pin and even the Dual Throat carb.........anybody remember them?) and even my little Sportster. Don't bet against some S&S "stuff" finding its way onto the Road King.

Go for it Weet, you'll love the starting and running improvements the S&S will provide

Old 05-27-2006, 01:22 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

A well tuned CV will give you just about the same performance as the S&S or the Mikuni provided you are running a near stock engine. With just pipes, and a Stage I the CV will supply all the air you need, and will do it well. In fact you could probably go up to 95" before you would need more carb.

To tune a CV, replace the slow jet and main jet with one size larger, install a 1998 1200 Sportster needle, cut 2 coils off of the slide spring, slightly ream the vaccum port, and adjust the idle jet about 2 1/2 turns out from the bottom.

Total cost will be about 25.00. I have ran this set up as well as Yost Power Tube and the Dyno Jet, and this is as good as either of the higher dollar jet kits.

Unless you are going to do a lot of high performance engine work, save your money for something else.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

no im not going to big inch horsepower, but would like my ol' girl to run a wee bit better.
bought some samson staggered duals with mufflers, ..
was just wanting to improve my carb,

lots of ideals here. . still dont know which way to turn.. i'll keep reasearching this subject.

weet

Old 05-27-2006, 06:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You will be happy with the S&S.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

interesting...............

weet

Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM
LittleSkull
Intermediate

You should ask a few mechanics also cause i'm sure they can give you some good advice, but whatever they say remember one thing....MIKUNI