Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Road Glide which one is better

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
not impressed
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King or Road Glide which one is better

I'm looking to upgrade to touring bike, I'm not crazy about windshields but for long hauls I probably wouldn't mind. I need some intelligent feedback from you guys about which one has the best ride and the most bang for the buck.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

the glide hands down is the better bike, my dad has a King its nice but once you get behind a fairing there is no turning back.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
rk99
Cruiser

One Obvious thing about a RoadKing is the fact that you can pull the windshield off really quickly! That's good when washing or riding. Since I have not had a bike with a faring, I can't talk about them. Of course, I don't have a radio on my Roadking either!! I still prefer my Roadking for simplicity and NO MOTORCYCLE REGRET!!... I knew I could throw that in some day!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Hard to beat the King ... Even though I have an EGS

Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things I love about the RK is that it is a touring bike but you can pull the windshield off and have the bar hopping cruiser look. As someone else said, not having a radio is a bit of a drag, but when you need music, you can just twist the throttle....I pulled my windshield off the day I picked it up and it hasn't been back on since

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin's_09FXDF
the glide hands down is the better bike, my dad has a King its nice but once you get behind a fairing there is no turning back.
I have to disagree,they are all basically the same bikes, it is a matter of the cosmetics. I have been behind a fairing and still bought a RK. Other then the fairings the Road King is the same bike as the glides without the fairing and tour box etc.

I depends on what you like. Do you want a convertible bike that goes from a touring bike to a cruiser by taking off the windshield and backrest? Then the Road king is versatile enough to be 2 bikes in one. Also, you can buy a removable fairing with a radio, and still not loose the versatility of taking these items off.

The Road glide is unique in that no other Harley looks like it. At first it is homely, but it does grow on you after a while. The fixed fairing on the RG is probably better then the batwing fairing when it comes to wind sheer, but remember, you always have a fairing, so if you like that, then it is a great bike, personally I chose the Road King because some days when I ride with the girlfriend, we want the windshield, backrest, luggage etc. but sometimes when I ride solo,I will take off these items so I get that fat boy cruiser look,and the Road King gives me both without sacrificing the ride quality.

Harley's and their models are an extension of your personality, you have to figure what bike says,, this is me.

Take them both out for a long ride and see which bike makes your socks roll up and down.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 07-31-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

Neither is better. Both do a great job as the bike that it is......King is great for hot summer days and the Glide is nice if you want tunes and uniqueness. Hard to beat the price on the king....and you get more colors.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The Road Glide is probably the only other touring bike I'd sell my King for...but I'd be stooopid to sell the King - Incredible bike!

I like the detach windshield and don't miss the tunes...I like listening to the wind and my pipes.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

As said by nhbiker... I love the fact that I have 3 bikes in one... stripped down cruiser when I want... screened medium range tourer with the shield on (get plenty of air)... and I am ordering a Dead Center Fairing in September for the colder months / long rides and I want to block more air - I already have the removable lower fairings. Can't complain about the King... and truth be told... I love the look of that bright red 2010 Road Glide Custom... can't wait to see it live! Oh god... here comes the itch again!!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser

I've always loved the classic lines of the Road King, but when I decided to buy a touring bike I went with the Road Glide. I like having a fairing, radio, etc., but what it came down to is I really like it's looks (yep, I'm one of "those")!

As for the ease of taking off the windshield, I run an 8" Klockwerks around town, and an 18" Cee Bailey for touring. It only takes 5-10 minutes to swap them out.

Quick Reply: Road King or Road Glide which one is better