Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Law Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Noise Law Rhode Island

:
This is starting to spread and motorcyclist around the country Need To Fight This-- EAST GREENWICH, R.I. - Bikers planning to blast through East Greenwich may want to steer clear of the town instead, especially if their exhaust systems aren't the proper match for their choppers.

The Town Council unanimously passed an emergency ordinance Monday night allowing police to pull over and levy fines against bikers if the noise rating data stamped into the chrome of the exhaust doesn't match the label on the bike.

The "label matching" program is an indirect attempt to eliminate a noise problem that has been drawing complaints, particularly in the waterfront area of town.

The first offense is $500. It jumps to $700 the second time $1,000 for each third and subsequent violation.

"I hope we don't have to pull over one single motorcycle," said Police Chief David Desjarlais. "But if they're loud and they draw our attention because of the volume of the exhaust, and we find they're not in compliance, we're more than willing to write the ticket."

The ordinance, now in effect, sparked questions Wednesday from Buddy Cardoso, president o f the Rhode Island Motorcycle Association .

"What do you do, throw away the motorcycle if the exhaust wears out?" he said. He said the owners of other vehicles are allowed to use after-market exhaust systems, and it would be unfair to single out bikers.

"If you're not making too much noise, we're not going to pull you over in the first place," said Desjarlais.

Cardoso's fears are also unfounded, the chief said Wednesday, because after-market exhausts say which motorcycles they were designed for to conform to federal noise-pollution standards.

Under the ordinance, a system would be set up to allow a biker to avoid the fine by bringing in the bikes and having it tested with a noise meter.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 PM
risgdude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can i find the info on this "Label Matching"?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I posted a thread on this very subject maybe 3 years ago here on this forum and I had several people pissed off at me for suggesting that something that started in our beach cities, here in So Cal would eventually make its way across the country. By that time, Denver had already enacted such an ordinance. It's beginning to show up in other places around the country now and I'm not even the slightest bit surprised.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
risgdude
Cruiser

I went to the towns web site and looked at the meeting minutes and it looks like it was brought up at the meeting earlier in the month. The minutes from mondays meeting are not posted yet. But knowing how the snotty people there are I have no dought it passed. That said where do i find the info about label matching? What is this label am I missing something?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
dgretz
Tourer

Its coming - it started with helmet laws

Now noise and emissions (which will take care of aftermarket pipes and performance engine mods) are next.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 AM
erbdaddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I am from Rhode Island also and it is spreading fast. My town and three others have asked East Greenwich for feedback so they can also bust our *****.

I am in South Kingstown right near the beaches, Bristol is also tough now so stay clear of there!

06 Ultra
02 Hertigage

Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

We canceled two charity runs last year because they wanted to ride through Bristol RI felt bad but many more will fall if this keeps churning.

Trust me I fully understand about loud noise but we are the target, pretty soon you not be to fart in public. Hey in Iran its unlawfull to have three or more people together in public.

Listen to the police chief he acts as though he is the supreme ruler or czar of the city along with the city council.

We have to fight this as it will not stop with noise, that is just how it starts..whats next?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Aslan
Road Master

We are outnumbered and under represented.
We are an easy traget for politicians trying to show the voters that they are doing something and get their name in the paper.
It has always been this way only now with the increase in liberals holding office it's worse.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 AM
lockshop
Tourer

I guess I will be the first one to try this new law out. I am heading though East Greenwich this morning.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 AM
erbdaddy
Advanced

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Noise Law Rhode Island