Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cash for clunkers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this plan is such a success, we should take it to it's logical next step: Let's put everyone in the US on the government payroll and pay them all $1,000,000/per year in salary. There - my program is guaranteed to make every person in the US a millionaire! I AM A FRIGGIN' GENIUS! Just like your idiot president.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Default Cash for Clunkers

Originally Posted by Firetender
And BEST OF ALL, you and I are paying for it with borrowed money that we'll print today and pay tomorrow! Ain't it great to have your own dollar printer?!?
+1 the Government seems to think that I want my children to be in debt for this too!

Dream on dude, I don't see how the would allow that one.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

I am glad to see that other realize the true facts on this program. It looks like it is for the people but it si just another way to get more money to the car manufacturers. Only the people get to hand out the money to their favorite MOCO. Kind of like voting on American Idol.
I bought my Chevy truck last year on labor day when they had the employee pricing and the huge rebate. I got $9,000 off my msrp of 35,500. Guess what.....that is how much you get with the cash for clunkers and other incentives. So......where do the people make out on this? Hmmmmm......funny how that works out.
I also agee we shouldn't be helping folks who can't afford new cars. Isn't bad credit part of our dismay? Sorry....just complaining.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:05 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
Most of the people buying these cars shouldn't be buying the cars they are. Or possibly any car, at this time. They're driving "clunkers" because that's what they can afford. Didn't we learn anything by making housing loans so easy to aquire?
+1

This whole progarm is BS. Here is a "Green" program that is nothing more than a welfare payment. I have to think there are far more late model gas guzzlers on the highways and biways, than there are old clunkers. Most likely they are going to be worth more than $4500 anyway.

More of our money poured into the ghetto. That they will claim was both good for the economy and the envirnoment.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keener
Say and think what you like. I received $3500 for a 2000 Grand Marquis limping on its last leg.

Transferred my Vet plates to the new ride, by the way.

Does that make me a leech to our Government?

That is the feeling I am getting in this thread.
I applaud your vet status - thanks for all you've sacrificed. I would also mention that you do OWN a 2005 Ultra - life can't be that bad?

My son has a 1986 Crown Vic LTD that is limping. He's a briiliant college Junior and really would have benifited by this program. Unfourtunatly, the Gov sez his car has a combined MPG of 19, kicking it out of the program.

I will be buying him a newer used car in a few weeks because I can; but he would have liked to do it on his own, w/o dad bailing him out.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Default +1

Originally Posted by Bad Pig
glad I helped buy someone a car they couldn't afford in the first place!
just sayin....
+1 on that. I'm still trying to figure out how to get some of that FREE money.

Don't get me started, Cash For Clunkers is STUPID, but then any time Big Brother gets involved in ANY THING it's going to cost us....

Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Originally Posted by boogiewithtuck
My son has a 1986 Crown Vic LTD that is limping. He's a briiliant college Junior and really would have benifited by this program. Unfourtunatly, the Gov sez his car has a combined MPG of 19, kicking it out of the program.

That don't sound right. I thought that as long as you were trading up to better mileage you were good. And 10mpg gets the maxium $4500.

Geez if 19 is really too much. That pretty well eliminates everything that still works.

Edit: I looked it up out of curiosity on cars.gov. What a joke.... Amazing that a 23 yr old car don't qualify.

Last edited by OnTheFence; 08-01-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Doge Dakota V6 and they say it gets 20 mpg. It will without anything in it. Pull a trailer, haul anything and you will not get close to 20 mpg.. Trucks are designed to haul stuff.

I also think this incentive will hurt us in the long run.

I will also add that there are some that will not add a burden to the system, they are productive.

In God we Trust

dd