Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rossmeyer Accident Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little more info about the accident in this article.
Sounds like he was a great guy with a big heart.
RIP Mr. Rossmeyer and respects to the family
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/flo...illed_in_wreck

Last edited by Lindsey141; 08-02-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 AM
CaptGoodvibes
Tourer

Originally Posted by tmans
From Google maps, could you determine if there is a solid, or dotted yellow line in the center of the raodway?
Two lane road, dashed yellow... okay to pass both directions for miles

Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like he committed himself just before he saw the turnsignals come on.Too bad!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
mkbrower
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Clint55
Yes we all make mistakes. Older drivers seem to make a lot of them. In this case there remains a very real possibility that the 73 year old driver may have made a mistake and in doing so DID do something illegal and illogical. Bruce may have made a bad decision or maybe he didn't.

The one thing for certain is that none of us that are posting on this thread knows what really happened.
Ok, I'll play devils advocate. What possible mistake, other than not signaling, could this driver had made that was illegal or illogical based on everything that has been released. Lets throw out the turn signal because I don't think any rider would place thier life in danger based on the proper operation of a turn signal would they. Any rider that does, better find a new hobby quick.

If it helps you deal with Bruce's death by trying to place blame with the pick-up driver, than far be it for me to try and change your mind. It is my hope that information gathered from this accident will help at least one other rider avoid the same fate as Bruce. I think that Bruce would like that and his death would not be in vain.

The way I see it, if you tangle with another vehicle you will lose and fault will not seem that important when you are lying on the pavement dead.

Ride to stay alive!

Mark

Last edited by mkbrower; 08-02-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can look at the likely site of the accident on Google Maps. It's impossible to read the milepost signs, but there's only two dirt road lefts between 15 and 20 miles out from Farson headed east. The campers on the Squaw road turnoff makes me think the driver was headed there. Pretty desolate territory.

It's interesting that the road at the first left has is a single dashed yellow line (passing in both directions) and the one further up is double yellow because of a dip and turn in the road. It's eerie that the Google photo truck in the picture below looks like it's about the pass the tanker truck right at the point of the left turn.

Attached Thumbnails Rossmeyer Accident Report-rm1.jpg   Rossmeyer Accident Report-rm2.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 AM
highpockets1955
Novice

hare to tell what happened here, do not be to fast to blame the truck driver.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkbrower
Ok, I'll play devils advocate. What possible mistake, other than not signaling, could this driver had made that was illegal or illogical based on everything that has been released. Lets throw out the turn signal because I don't think any rider would place thier life in danger based on the proper operation of a turn signal would they. Any rider that does, better find a new hobby quick.Mark
I don't think there is much doubt that respect and sadness for Mr. Rossmeyer and his family is something that we all feel. We are discussing the accident, the accident report, what we think may have happened, helmet use, etc. There is nothing disrespectful about that.

Not much information has been released and so the previous statement that no one on this forum knows what caused this terrible accident is accurate.

The proper use of a turn signal is a primary issue here. If the driver did not signal, it would be an illegal and illogical mistake. Or, maybe the truck driver did signal properly and Mr. Rossmeyer didn't see it or chose to pass anyway. We don't know.

Thirdly, You said it yourself and summed it up perfectly. "No rider would place their life in danger based on the proper operation of a turn signal would they."

Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ok it's a 2 lane hwy, if the truck was in the right lane what was wrong with Bruce passing in the left lane? would clearly be the trucks fault even if he did have his signal on, unless truck was in left lane and Bruce tried passing on the shoulder. don't know wasn't there it is just bad a life was lost

Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's interesting is that four of the six riders in the pack passed the truck. If I was driving and about to turn left and four bikes just went around me, I'd sure as hell stop and make sure the coast was clear. It's not like this happened in the woods along a twisty road. You couldn't ask for more visibility at this intersection...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts
Default The Bike Is The Issue Here.

Originally Posted by leohd
he rode from the dealer meeting in colorodo he owned a dealer there also, goes to show people just assume things
Of course people assume things that are not specified in the news, no harm there. You try to make an educated guess, that's human nature. He 'did ride to the Colorado dealership from Florida', that's a hell of a distance. He was known to have never used a trailer for himself, unless it was for transporting a specific show bike to an event, which he would have one of his staff drive for him. He didn't fly in, he rode the whole way, that fact is known. The bike he was riding is the issue here, he was a big guy, you had to figure it was one of the larger Touring models. The Electra Glide Ultra was his favorite model, that is also a fact. They are going to be waking him on Tuesday at Lohman Funeral Home on West Granada Blvd, in Ormond Beach between 4-8 PM, for those interested in attending.

Quick Reply: Rossmeyer Accident Report