Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rossmeyer Accident Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that gave me the chills

Old 08-01-2009, 07:19 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You just never know in a "What if" situation. I got a feeling that a helmet in an accident like that wouldn't always save anyone from life threatening injuries.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM
TVtommy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Sorry but I can't belive thats the official police report. In my accident which was non fatal (obviously since I'm writing this) it was 12 pages long. There is no way that the write up is that short or done that quick by the police department.
Its not the official report...that was a press release. The official report would have drawings, maps, and full detail.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 AM
vindyl
Road Master

Do not turn this into a helmet debate. You wear one or you don't. Sayin somesone should is like sayin they should pray to the same god you do DROP IT. It is a sad thing someone lost thier life and just remember to be careful. And pray for this mans family who no longer can hug thier dad,brother, husband ,friend . And may his soul rest in peace and remember he died doing something he loved which in it own way is a blessing. GOD BLESS and GOD SPEED

Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Unless the cop was there, the official report, not this press release would have witness/driver statements like "Driver states he put his left signal on" or "witnesses report that driver did signal before turning". Because the Press Release to states this as fact, one has to assume they had witness statements. Maybe Bruce didn't see the dirt road and thought he'd blow by some geezer giving a mile's notice of a turn ahead.

As for the helmet, well, if he had one on, who know's? Maybe he'd be a quadraplegic living on tubes for years. No thanks.

My question is this: if the truck/trailer and bike were going in the same direction, and the point of impact was the driver's door of the pickup, how the heck did Bruce wind up on under the passenger side of the trailer (behind him)?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop

My question is this: if the truck/trailer and bike were going in the same direction, and the point of impact was the driver's door of the pickup, how the heck did Bruce wind up on under the passenger side of the trailer (behind him)?
Just my opinion and nothing more....

Because the truck/trailer was going at a higher rate of speed than a normal truck/trailer should have during a left hand turn thus running over the bike rider after impact as the truck driver couldn't stop his rig. This would also explain why the other bikers made the pass and Mr. Rossmeyer thought he could also.

** I've lived out in the country just about my entire life. Dirt roads coming off a paved hwy are not neatly cut 90* turns. For the most part a dirt road is angled for easy entrance and exit like a flare and are cut at angles.**

In short, the impact may have not killed Mr. Rossmeyer. Your imagination can take over from here but out of respect to the family I will go no further.

Just my .02

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 AM
GodFather
Cruiser

Everyone keeps bringing up the question of how did they know if the man had his blinker on or not. Well, the report states one other biker was behind Rossmeyer and had to swerve to the right to miss the accident. Well, if he swerved to the "right" then he had to still be completely behind the truck/trailer when it hit Rossmeyer. So that guy should be able to quote to Police if there was a turn signal used or not.

my $.02

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
Why the hell would he try to pass on the left anyway?? That's just dumb... IMO..
It's the law. As for the brakelights working & the turnsignals on, the driver may bea left foot braker (brake lights always on) & the turn signals may have been on for miles. Let's face it, there are vehicles out there that don't self cancel & drivers that don't see that it has not canceled. I hope the sixth rider saw what happened & speaks up.

Toby

Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
jimonline
5th Gear

Very sad and a horrible day for a fellow rider and his family.

A clear reminder that all TIES go to the cages regardless of the size and regardless of fault. The best advice has already been given. If there’s a chance of turning ahead expect them to be turning. Expect every cage to do something stupid then you'll be less surprised.

Studies have shown that we as mcy riders all have a desire to cheat death some level. It's at higher levels some than others. Clearly higher than those who respect bikes but never get out of a cage and beyond understanding for those who fear us and have to ask why we ride...

We live for the thrill much like a high wire performer. Some perform with a helmet, some don't. Me I do both, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I always hope I guess right.

HD's current ads "Screw it let's ride!" really says a lot. That's what we do, ride.

IL has no helmet law but if they do, Screw it, Let's still ride!

We can only be careful out there, never safe. So for Bruce, let's get back on and ride somewhere and ride as if he was riding next to us.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimonline
Very sad and a horrible day for a fellow rider and his family.

A clear reminder that all TIES go to the cages regardless of the size and regardless of fault. The best advice has already been given. If there’s a chance of turning ahead expect them to be turning. Expect every cage to do something stupid then you'll be less surprised.

Studies have shown that we as mcy riders all have a desire to cheat death some level. It's at higher levels some than others. Clearly higher than those who respect bikes but never get out of a cage and beyond understanding for those who fear us and have to ask why we ride...

We live for the thrill much like a high wire performer. Some perform with a helmet, some don't. Me I do both, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I always hope I guess right.

HD's current ads "Screw it let's ride!" really says a lot. That's what we do, ride.

IL has no helmet law but if they do, Screw it, Let's still ride!

We can only be careful out there, never safe. So for Bruce, let's get back on and ride somewhere and ride as if he was riding next to us.
+ 1

I spent 5 years flying a Trauma/Rescue helicopter in the Keys, I can’t figure out why I even own a bike let alone ride without a helmet.

Quick Reply: Rossmeyer Accident Report