Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rossmeyer Accident Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
unclzim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds almost exactly like Click Baldwin's crash. He was the owner of Carolina Harley in Gastonia NC.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
dbird
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Sorry but I can't belive thats the official police report. In my accident which was non fatal (obviously since I'm writing this) it was 12 pages long. There is no way that the write up is that short or done that quick by the police department.
Offical press release not accident report

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

According to CBS4 of south Florida, the Wyoming State Patrol says Rossmeyer was trying to pass a pickup pulling a trailer about 18 miles east of Farson. Sgt. Stephen Townsend says the truck driven by 73-year-old Robert VanValkenburg of Rock Springs was turning left onto a dirt road when the collision occurred.

Townsend says VanValkenburg had his left-turn signal on. Rossmeyer was thrown from the motorcycle and landed under the trailer. He was not wearing a helmet. No other motorcycles were involved in the crash.

73 yr old driver, like I said I wasnt there...........

backdoc_rider
Tourer

Sorry to hear this. Just goes to show we all need to be careful out there, and yes, wear helmets. Guess we'll never know, but sounds like he was just a little to anxious to catch up to his friends and made a bad mistake passing a rig that was probably frustrating him by slowing down.

troy.j
Road Captain

He was passing a truck with a tandem axle trailer. How long before or after the truck started to turn did he pull out to pass? Was the blinker on when he pulled out to pass? Those are the questions I have and I find the report inconclusive without witness statements.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

I believe I read in another post - or at a link within one - that he was 5th in a line of 6 bikes. The first 4 bikes passed without incident in the same manner and when Rossmeyer went to pass, the guy turned. The 6th guy saw the wreck and got heavy on the brakes to avoid it. I know the driver of the truck had the right away, but curious, after seeing 4 bikes fly by you, why wouldn't you look for a fifth? Right or wrong, it's still sad and a reminder to be vigilant, because you are the only one that's looking out for you out there.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer

Obviously a terrible accident that caused the death of a fellow rider!

I personally will not make a pass if I can see that there is a road coming up that the vehicle I am passing may want to turn left on.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
MNrider
Tourer

It's too bad he wasn't a little more patient with the vehicle in front of him as it was turning off the road anyway. I try not to be in a hurry on a bike, good things seldom happen because of it.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad and tragic. We may never know exactly what really happened. That 6th bike probably is the best witness.

But a truck pulling a trailer down a highway should have had his left turn signal on way in advance of turning left onto a dirt road. Also, the truck and trailer should have had to slow down quite a lot before ever beginning a left turn onto a dirt road. Hard to believe that any experienced rider would pass on the left if the signal was already blinking on a slowing vehicle.

It is not and never will be my place to judge, but my humble opinion is that the 73 year old driver did not use his turn signal properly, if at all.

Last edited by Clint55; 07-31-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by g money
Helmet not in use. Hate to beat a dead horse, but it might of saved him.
Gary D.
+1 on that.

Quick Reply: Rossmeyer Accident Report