Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rk custom vs rk

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:18 AM
In2win
|
Intermediate
Default rk custom vs rk

I am looking at buying a rk and not sure really where I want to go with it. I like the look of the custom's dont know whats so different about them, It looks as though they sit lower and i like that look but that might just be the way it's set up. I believe the last year they made them was 06.

I know they don't have the 6 speed tranny and I guess what I am asking is for you guys that have them is this really a turn off?

Any other commments or suggestons would be great.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:20 AM
tommog
6th Gear

there was 07 rk custom! i have one :-)
itīs the best because it is the only year the custom had the 97 engine.
and it has the six speed of cause.
i like it.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:26 AM
Cowracer
Tourer

I had a RK Custom. Its a great bike. I love the stripped down and clean look. I would still have it, except for the Street Glide is basically the same bike with the batwing fairing.

Probabaly the biggest complaint most RK Custom guys have is the beach bars. Driving a custom is like pushing a wheelbarrow. thats your hand placement. Most hate them, I actually liked them.

The 5 speed was ok, but it would have been nice to have that 6th gear. Revs arent too bad at sane speeds. Power of the 88 was adequate. (I like the 96 better). Comfort wise, after I changed the seat, I had no problems doing back-to-back-to-back 700 mile days.

The saddlebags are slightly smaller, but with eaiser to operate lids. Suspension is lowered 1 inch, and is marginally harsher. Looks wise, the Customs beats the standard and classic hands down, in my opinion. But that is subject to each guys taste.

Tim

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:29 AM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Cowracer
I had a RK Custom. Its a great bike. I love the stripped down and clean look. I would still have it, except for the Street Glide is basically the same bike with the batwing fairing.

Probabaly the biggest complaint most RK Custom guys have is the beach bars. Driving a custom is like pushing a wheelbarrow. thats your hand placement. Most hate them, I actually liked them.

The 5 speed was ok, but it would have been nice to have that 6th gear. Revs arent too bad at sane speeds. Power of the 88 was adequate. (I like the 96 better). Comfort wise, after I changed the seat, I had no problems doing back-to-back-to-back 700 mile days.

The saddlebags are slightly smaller, but with eaiser to operate lids. Suspension is lowered 1 inch, and is marginally harsher. Looks wise, the Customs beats the standard and classic hands down, in my opinion. But that is subject to each guys taste.

Tim
Agree on everything but the bars... have long arms and changed mine on my 04' my wrists were turned inward!

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:29 AM
In2win
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cowracer

Tim

Thanks tim, I like that stripped down look as well as I think that 1 inch makes a big difference also. I would probabaly get some new bars just so it wouldnt look like I was up as far on the bike.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:30 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I don't use my 6th gear often, but it is nice to have when I do get out on the interstate going around 70 or so. If you think you might ever be taking long trips or and significant stints on the interstates, the 6 speed would be a good thing to have.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:30 AM
marty442
Advanced

My buddy bought an 07 RK Custom (last year offered) with the 6 speed and 96 inch engine. He liked the leather bags and lowered look.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:33 AM
In2win
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marty442
My buddy bought an 07 RK Custom (last year offered) with the 6 speed and 96 inch engine. He liked the leather bags and lowered look.
I wasn't aware the RK had an 07 custom with the 6 speed 96, guess thats what I will be looking for. Everything I want right there

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:34 AM
In2win
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
I don't use my 6th gear often, but it is nice to have when I do get out on the interstate going around 70 or so. If you think you might ever be taking long trips or and significant stints on the interstates, the 6 speed would be a good thing to have.

Well there is 83 miles of HWY between me and the girl

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:40 AM
max56
Road Warrior

2007 Road King Custom

Quick Reply: rk custom vs rk