Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rk custom vs rk

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:40 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by In2win
Well there is 83 miles of HWY between me and the girl
Umm...It's called a Road KING not a Road Queen! Call it what it is, the King of the road...LOL

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:47 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

Bought one in 04 when they first came out, still own her. Just love the stripped down look and lowerd a$$ end. Plus you just don't see many on the road. I put the hard bags on her this spring, just like the looks of the hard bags better. I was thinking of trading for a 09 streetglide but just can't bring myself to get rid her. Going to order a fairing from wide open customs. They are both great bikes, Just a matter which one floats your boat.

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:05 AM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser

I have the 05 Custom. Done everything short of building a new bike, blacked out, chrome, stage II & 1/2, love it all, Even the Beach bar wheelborrow handlebars but i'm looking to get some apes. With the extensive engine work that was done there is no need for a 6 gear. She pulls tight in 4th all the to about 120km then 5th is smoking fast with no extra vibration. What I'm getting at is get any year Custom that they made. You won't be dissapointed and you can modify all you want to your liking. I think the Custom is the baddest looking bikes out there, and as Cowracer said about his streetglide- all you need to do is add a removable fairing and you have one tricked out streetglide!

Chop.

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:30 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I had the same beach bars on my RKC and love them.

I'm one of the few riders that liked the 5 speed with the 88 as much as the 6 speed 96. I ran 8o to 85 mph all day long with the 5 speed getting between 38 and 42 mpg. So the pre 07s wouldn't bother me at all. In fact I think they are a little torquier on the low end than my 96. It did have a stage I however, which helped a lot.

I plan on keeping my SG for a long long time, but I miss my RK. So I'm watching for a really good deal on an older RK for local runs. What ever RK I get, it will eventually look like an orange custom.

Beary

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:47 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beary
I had the same beach bars on my RKC and love them.

I'm one of the few riders that liked the 5 speed with the 88 as much as the 6 speed 96. I ran 8o to 85 mph all day long with the 5 speed getting between 38 and 42 mpg. So the pre 07s wouldn't bother me at all. In fact I think they are a little torquier on the low end than my 96. It did have a stage I however, which helped a lot.

I plan on keeping my SG for a long long time, but I miss my RK. So I'm watching for a really good deal on an older RK for local runs. What ever RK I get, it will eventually look like an orange custom.

Beary
I'm with you Beary regarding the 88 engine but, it always seems when I'm up there around 75 or so I find myself searching for that sixth gear with my foot sometimes. Is it worth trading up for a new or newer one? Not in my mind. like other have said, I'm very satisfied with my 05 RKClassic and have it set up perfectly for the wifeand I and haven't had one single problem with it, runs strong and rolls right on down the highway...Dayum...I think I'm getting wood sitting here talking about my bike......LMAO...Anyway, you can't go wrong with a King either way.

Last edited by Road Ranger; 07-31-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2009 | 10:16 AM
Cowracer
Tourer

Originally Posted by 04 rkcrr
Bought one in 04 when they first came out, still own her. Just love the stripped down look and lowerd a$$ end. Plus you just don't see many on the road. I put the hard bags on her this spring, just like the looks of the hard bags better. I was thinking of trading for a 09 streetglide but just can't bring myself to get rid her. Going to order a fairing from wide open customs. They are both great bikes, Just a matter which one floats your boat.

If you truly love your 04, DON'T ride an '09 or '10. I really loved my '06 till I rode an '09. That kinda put the tarnish on the relationship.

Tim

Old 07-31-2009 | 12:28 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

I figured as much cowracer. I put so much money into my bike, I Know what a beating i'm going to take on trade in. Plus the insanity will start all over, because I just can't leave well enough alone. The wife doesnt mind the new bike, just doesnt understand the extra 7 grand in add ons. I just dont know what her problem is. Getting an aftermarket fairing, I have a rk customglide.

Old 07-31-2009 | 01:23 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

I have an 07 RK Custom too. Of course it doesn't look like one anymore.....

Originally Posted by In2win
I wasn't aware the RK had an 07 custom with the 6 speed 96, guess thats what I will be looking for. Everything I want right there

Old 07-31-2009 | 01:43 PM
MotorSgt
Tourer

absolutely love my 07' you can see it in my picture. I have 25k on her now without major issue. I didnt mind the stock handlebars i just like the older style look so I changed it up a bit. No complaints whatsoever though. Great bike if you dont like shining chrome and just want to ride

Old 07-31-2009 | 01:51 PM
KSGG
Cruiser

Looked for a Custom before I bought mine. Lowered, less trim, different bags & bars. My previous metric had beach bars, so I thought they felt good. Actually, the Custom was the most comfy to me, along with the Fat Boy.

The headlight nacelle's a little different, with the visor.
Don't fear the 5 spd. They run 70 all day long, no problem.
Buddy of mine has a 6 speed, and rarely uses 6th.

Quick Reply: rk custom vs rk