Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bruce Rossmeyer killed in bike accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Always sad to hear the loss of a riding brother...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough way to start the sturgis celebrations. Plenty o drinks will be toasted in his honor no doubt.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer

Quote: Passing another vehicle is dangerous enough while passing a slow moving vehicle with huge blindspots on a two lane road with a left hand side road is more than dangerous, it is EXTREMELY dangerous. I live in the country, and this very scenario has taken the lives of many riders in my area
Mark[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What you say is true but, I ride and drive lots of two lane rural roads. You say you do too. How many times have you followed a slow moving truck or car with the left turn signal on for miles? It is very common for older drivers to forget to turn off the turn signal. There comes a point where you have to try to get around him. In this case, the truck driver saw four bikes pass him before he started the turn. Don't tell me he had no responsibility to look in the left hand mirror to see if more were coming before making that turn. I know the law is on his side and I'm not arguing that it wasn't a bad mistake on Rossmeyer's part but we were not there and we don't know the facts and what I do know is that we all have to look out for each other. That truck driver carries some of the blame here, not in the traffic law book but in the book of life.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Chimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the spirit of what you are saying. But I don't know how you can say,

Originally Posted by 1953riderforlife
we were not there and we don't know the facts
then with certainty, say,

Originally Posted by 1953riderforlife
That truck driver carries some of the blame
Either we were not there and don't know the facts, and therefore cannot assign blame/fault. Or we know enough facts to assign blame/fault. It can't be we don't know, but we're assigning blame/fault anyway.

Stay safe out there...

Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chimp
I get the spirit of what you are saying. But I don't know how you can say,

then with certainty, say,

Either we were not there and don't know the facts, and therefore cannot assign blame/fault. Or we know enough facts to assign blame/fault. It can't be we don't know, but we're assigning blame/fault anyway.

Stay safe out there...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stand by what I said in context. We don't know what caused an experienced rider like Rossmeyer to pass in this case but we do know that 4 other bikes went by that driver before he started to turn. Could Bruce have avoided the accident by not passing, yes. Could the truck driver have avoided the accident by checking his mirror before turning, yes. The law is on the truck drivers side from what we know but it appears from the news reports that this accident was avoidable by both rider and driver.