Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, What happens when they fall over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK, What happens when they fall over?

I know this is probably bad karma to even bring up but what kind of damage results from dropping a RG at a standstill? The reason I'm asking is that I was attempting to move my SG/RG in the garage and realized that if it was to even begin to tip there wouldn't be jack I could do about it and it would go over for sure. Mine didn't come with the rear bag guard, only the front engine guard. So, to those guys who have had the unfortunate luck to drop one of these without the rear guard, what happens? How does the damage compare when the bike is equipped with the rear guard? I'm thinking that investing in the rear guard kit for $175 might be good insurance since I'm not getting any younger or stronger for that matter. How about in black? Would that look better than chrome or would it look weird since the front is chrome?

Whatchathink?

Marc

Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

The guard does help for sure. You can fug up your bags when it goes over. I'd go chrome if your other stuff is chrome. You can get regular or the comfort profile. I just swapped mine out for comfort profile. I still have the old ones, but they have the holes for the bag rails so you wouldn't be interested in them.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guard at the plant dropped the gate on me and down I went, scratched the bottom edge of my bag pretty good. Installed the bag guards the next day. Should have done it when I bought it but WTH.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Ok, I'm sold. The comfort ones you referred to, is that the one for additional passenger comfort? Does it compromise it's effectiveness at all?

Marc

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine went over (no bag guards) and have just a bit of a scratch on the bottom edge of the curve, you can't see it unless you get on the ground and look up. I dislike the look of the guards and I know the wife would be uncomfy with them so I am taking my chances I guess.

Attached Thumbnails OK, What happens when they fall over?-04-road-king-008.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
Ok, I'm sold. The comfort ones you referred to, is that the one for additional passenger comfort? Does it compromise it's effectiveness at all?

Marc
click HERE and yes it is for passenger comfort and it doesn't compromise it.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes

Marc
You can't install saddlebag guard bags with the comfort-profile model, if that's important.

The bag guards went on this SG soon after purchase for the practical reasons already given. I bought a used set on Ebay for $100.

Last edited by iclick; 07-30-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Wow, that is a nice looking bike!

Marc

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
click HERE and yes it is for passenger comfort and it doesn't compromise it.
Thanks Dawg. I went to order it on Zanotti's but they don't list 90781-09 so I emailed them to see if they can add it into their system. My wife will appreciate the extra room.

Marc

Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you order the guards, be sure to check and see if you need the supports that go with them. My dealer had the guards but had to order the supports.

49179-09

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, and Trike). FLHX, FLHXSE, FLTR and FLTRSE3 models require separate purchase of Saddlebag Supports P/N 49194-09, 90781-09 and Nut P/N 7531 (qty 2).

Quick Reply: OK, What happens when they fall over?