Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip luggage recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered from T-Bags 2 weeks ago for a trip I'm taking to Texas, the bags I ordered are exactly what I needed.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. That really helps give me an idea of what's out there.

SG

Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the saddle bag liners. Fold your stuff carefully - I use a cardboard form to get it the right size - and put it in big ziplock bags, then sit on the ziplocks to get the air out. I can go for two weeks on just the contents of these two bags. Easy to carry to & from the bike.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used a Nelson Riggs "mini tourer" for me and the wife for a weekend trip. When I opened the packaging the bag seemed smaller than I had hoped but man I could pack a bunch in there. We both packed light but still got home to discover we only used half of what we brought. and the only thing packed in my saddle bags was tools and extra sunglasses. Never had a worry about the pack staying secure because the mounting system is the best I've seen. Maybe i would suggest getting the larger version like the 900 or 950 tourer but I am completely satisfied. Plannin on ordering one of their roll bags for the wifes bike.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,654 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Arrow Lots of (good) choices here

Originally Posted by sgnden
Thanks for all of the input. That really helps give me an idea of what's out there.

SG
Every one mentioned here seems to work for their owner. Stick with a major manufacturer and don't forget to check E-bay prices once you've narrowed your choices. Ride on!

I'm packing now for Sturgis. I need a VACATION bad!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnden
I am familiar with T-Bags and have seen a few variations over the years...but thought I'd ask for any recommendations for bags you like.

Typical trip - 3 to 4 days (typically not camping).

Yeah, I know all of the "depends" points to made here (how much you pack, woman, etc)...just assume a relatively light but prepared pack load.

What do you use (other than Hefty bags)?

Thanks!
I've used a couple different models over the last decade. The two favorites were the T-Bag Universal Expandable and my current Nelson-Riggs CTB-900. I bought the Nelson-Riggs bag from forum sponsor Pro1Powersports.

Both the T-Bag and Nelson-Riggs bag are made for motorcycle use and fit well on the back of a cruiser. I mention that because I also tried using regular luggage on the bike a couple times. Not a good idea since there are not enough tie down points. Both the T-Bag and N-R are built to strap on a sissy bag and have tie-down/bungie points for securing them to the bike.

The T-Bag Universal Expandable runs about $230 (Pro1 price) while the CTB-900 from N-R was under $180. The big difference between the two for me is the "semi-rigid" design of the T-Bag. My N-R bag is good, but it would be a little better if it stood up by itself for easier packing. I'm not sure the semi-rigid design is worth an extra $50, but others may disagree.

With both bags I can easily fit in a pair of sneakers, 3 pair of jeans, 6 to 8 shirts and enough basic gear to keep me on the road without using a laundry for about 5 days. Best for both is the external pockets, which make it easy to store little items for easy access. Sunscreen, cell phone, etc., can go in those little pockets. That's also why I now use dedicated motorcycle bags instead of Wally World luggage when on the bike ... the little things like external pockets, etc., make a difference.

Now that I'm on the '09 Ultra I have less need for a big backseat bag, though I still use the N-R on longer (3 to 5 day) trips. I added a padded shoulder strap for the N-R so it's easy to lug in and out of hotels.

I generally put my rain gear, tools, and related supplies in the saddle bags with the my laptop, camera, and tech gear in the Tour-Pak. I can lock them when I'm away from the bike, and I only keep "disposable" items in my strap on bag (that way if someone steals it I'm only out a few $$ and not a laptop). Between the rull size N-R bag and the included barrel bag I have plenty of room.

For my money there are 4 things to consider as you decide what bag to purchase.

1) Is it water proof? If not, make sure it has a rain cover. Regular luggage may be a lot cheaper, but it ain't water proof. On a bike you'll want something keep the sneakers dry so that when you get to the hotel you'll have something warm-dray to change into.

2) How does it fit the bike? Both bags I've mentioned are designed and built for the backseat or luggage rack. I do all of my touring solo, so I typically put the bag on the back seat right behind me. Before the Ultra I strapped them on the sissy bars, and both of these bags had built-in sissy bar systems. That makes them very valuable compared to typical backpacks or luggage. Plus, be careful in getting a backpack or luggage that has a "hard" bottom ... it can shift and rub against the saddle bags or fender.

3) How easy is it to access on the bike? Both bags have multiple compartments that allow easy access while strapped on the bike. When you want to get the sunblock, extra glasses, cell phone then the external pockets come in handy. Regular roll-away luggage doesn't usually have this feature, so a bag designed for motorcycle use has an advantage.

4) Price to Durability Factor. Face it, riding on a motorcycle exposes the bag to wind, temperature, rain, sunshine, etc, and that will degrade the material of a general use bag pretty quick. The motorcycle bags I've listed are made from heavy duty material that will hold up better. I've had the N-R bag for 3 seasons now (about 40,000 miles) and it is "like new" in appearance. So while you'll pay more for one of these bags you'll actually come out ahead in the long run since they won't be destroyed as quickly by the riding environment.