Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Road King alignment issues...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 AM
ccxame1971
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Road King alignment issues...HELP!!!!

I have a 2006 FLHPI I bought used. To me the bike drove ok, it was not until I let a friend try it (also owns a road king) that an issue was noticed. The bike does not seem to be lined up correctly. When going down the road in a straight line, the steering is always turned slightly to the right, and it feels like I am leaning to the left. If you attempt to take your hands off the bars it pulls to the left. To go straight with no hands I have to lean as far to the right as I can. I have ridden this bike for a couple 3 hour trips and I am exhausted and my back is sore from fighting the bike. My friends bikes are not that way. They track staight and true. I have checked the rear wheel alignment and it is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 AM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should get a service manual but there are some adjustments on the front of the frame as well. I would also check tires, shocks, steering, all the BB, etc...

Do your bars appear to be straight when you sit on it and straighten out the front tire?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you search around the board a little you will find that a lot of the touring bikes pull, or maybe I should say drift, mostly to the left, mine included. It should not be so severe as to wear you out on a 3 hour ride though. I traded my VTX for that very reason, pulling hard and I could not get it corrected. It definately wore on me having to countersteer constantly. Are you sure the bike was not in an accident?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
ccxame1971
Stage IV

The bars look straight when I am not moving and the wheel is straight ahead. Once I am moving the bars are turned to the right. I dont know if the bike has been in an accident or not. I looked the bike over and do not see any evidence of an accident/fallover, but it is a used Police bike and who knows. I have taken it to 2 shops and they both gave it a clean bill of health, but I have owned many bikes over the years and I know there is somthing "not right" with this one. I have heard about the drivetrain alignment affecting balance due to the heavy primary on the left side, but I have not seen a porcedure to align the drivetrain.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Mark MPDC
Banned

Originally Posted by ccxame1971
The bars look straight when I am not moving and the wheel is straight ahead. Once I am moving the bars are turned to the right. I dont know if the bike has been in an accident or not. I looked the bike over and do not see any evidence of an accident/fallover, but it is a used Police bike and who knows. I have taken it to 2 shops and they both gave it a clean bill of health, but I have owned many bikes over the years and I know there is somthing "not right" with this one. I have heard about the drivetrain alignment affecting balance due to the heavy primary on the left side, but I have not seen a porcedure to align the drivetrain.

Yes.I have the same problem with my road king.What i suspect for my case and myabe yours as well is that something happened maybe in the transportation of the bike in straping it down on the trailer and it got tweeked[handlebars].I took mine to the harley dealer for them to check it out,my intentions atleast and while their waiting the service mech said,it could be the bushings in the forks need adjusting.