Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem with HK CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006 | 05:35 PM
UGGA
|
Road Captain
Default New Problem with HK CD Player

I've read numerous posts about folks having problems with the new HK stereo for the 2006 models. I recently began to experience a problem with mine as well (2006 Street Glide), but so far I haven't read about anyone having a similar problem. Here's the issue:

Somtimes my cd player will go into the mute mode while I'm playing a cd. You can tell because the speakers suddenly cut out and a headphone symbol appears on the radio display. It will suddenly kick back on (and the headphones disappear) and then just as quickly it cuts back off. It goes back and forth like this, eventually staying in the mute mode altogether. Putting in a different CD doesn't help, so it's not the CD.

I think that it may be heat related. I've had the bike since November and I never had a problem until starting about 2 weeks ago. I've ridden the bike continuously for the past 6 months (love that So Cal weather), but it's been getting hot the last 2 weeks and that's when my problem started occuring. It may have nothing to do with the heat - I'm just guessing.

Anyway - anyone else experiencing the same problem? If so, were you able to find a fix? I know that the bike is under warranty and I can take it in, but my dealer is 75 miles away and it's a major inconvenience for me to drop it off. Besides which, I absolutely hate letting the dealer have my bike for any reason. They don't care for it the way that I do and frankly I don't trust them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Doug

Old 05-25-2006 | 09:41 PM
UGGA
|
Road Captain
Default RE: New Problem with HK CD Player

Back to the top, just in case there's someone who can help me. By the way, I downloaded the latest software version for the radio - no help. Thanks again.

Doug

Old 05-26-2006 | 01:11 AM
Greb
Advanced

Havent, had the problem yet. But I wouldn't doubt that there is a thermal protection circuit. I did not know there was a mute mode. How do you get it to mute, besides the obvious of lowering the volume?

Old 05-26-2006 | 01:14 AM
Branded
Road Master

See yor stealer

Old 05-27-2006 | 01:24 AM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

Mine done that today! But I was able to get it back on by switching from CD to FM. Is there a Mute Function on the radio?
If so, How do you turn it on/off?

Old 05-27-2006 | 12:50 PM
UGGA
|
Road Captain

Actually I think that "mute" function is the wrong term. When this happens a set of headphones appear, so I'll call it "headphones mode" instead. It's just like you have a set of headphones installed. The external speakers get muted and the sound is piped through the headphones instead. Looks like I'll be paying my dealer a visit. Man I hate that. My wife has to follow me 75 miles in her car to pick me up after dropping off the bike. Then we have to drive 75 miles back home, then we do it all over again a few days later to pick up the bike. Thats 150 miles on the bike and 300 miles in the car just to have the dealer look at my bike. 75 bucks worth of gas plus several hours worth of driving for my wife. Oh well, at least the dealer's not a 200 miles away!

Doug

Old 05-27-2006 | 12:58 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Sorry to hear, but why not ride to the dealer, tell them to pull the radio, and ride home? Tell them to call when its ready, or you could wait till a saturday morning, when the showroom is full, raise hell and tell them to replace the radio off a bike in stock[8D]

Old 05-27-2006 | 01:01 PM
UGGA
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

Sorry to hear, but why not ride to the dealer, tell them to pull the radio, and ride home? Tell them to call when its ready, or you could wait till a saturday morning, when the showroom is full, raise hell and tell them to replace the radio off a bike in stock[8D]
I'll give that a try Bruce. Can't hurt to ask, and this way I don't have to inconvenience my wife. Thanks for the suggestion!

Doug

Old 05-27-2006 | 01:03 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Hope it works out for you Doug[sm=smiley20.gif]

Afterall, its a known problem, and remember......."The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Old 05-27-2006 | 01:43 PM
udnudn
Cruiser

Interesting --- last night I selected CD mode, it showed TRACK 1 on the display but no Bob Seger coming out of the Hogtunes. I hit the mode selector to scroll through WB, AM, FM, and back to CD and Bob started singing. I will have to look for that headphone symbol yer talkin about. Why can't I go from FM to CD, CD to FM, must I have to go through weather and AM to get there????????

Quick Reply: New Problem with HK CD Player