Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update mine or get a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
MNHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update mine or get a new one?

I am wondering what you guys would do? I have a 01 Eglide with 70,000 miles on her would I be better off putting a 95 or 103 kit in or just buy a new bike. I like the looks of the new 2010 limited. I am not saying my bike is wore out or any thing it is just a thought i have. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
beanok
Advanced

For me I would go with new one.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

there have been a lot of improvements made to the lineup since 2001 so if money is not an object then go for a new one if it is you can do a lot of upgrades with the money you could save

Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the current plateform and put the money into the engine. The bike is paid off I assume so anything you spend is gravy. Do the engine upgrades, new seat, bars and some painted tins and you are several thousand ahead. You have a tried and true machine that you know from day one. If you buy a new one you will sink more money into it again to make it your own.....just my .02 cents

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you buy the Limited you'll have the 103" engine and the new frame, chrome wheels, etc. Plus a 2 year warranty. I think the changes they've made since '01 would be worth considering.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

This really depends on your financial situation. I'm kind of in the same boat. Bike runs perfect, not one single problem, and I've got her all set up the way I want. But I'm dying to get a new scoot. $$ just won't allow it right now. This economy really hit me hard, especially the market drop. I'd need to sell some land to buy a new bike, and right now just isn't a good time to sell. All that said, you need to decide what your financial future really looks like. If you can afford to drop $25K on a new scoot, then jump on it. But for $5K you can do a lot to your current ride. You probably don't need to do anything to the motor till at least 100K. I've got about the same mileage (little more) on my 2000 and like I said, it's bullet proof. Noodle it out. Your financial wizard, better known as wife or significant other, will probably also have some input. We certainly don't know what would be best for you and your circumstances. Good Luck

Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can afford it, get a new one.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Well while there's obviously a MAJOR appeal for a new bike, there's a WHOLE lot to be said for a bike that's paid for. For say around $3k plus give or take, I know I can have a motor built by a top notch tech that would smoke any new motor coming out of any Moco plant. I've done it already and going to do it on this bike. Once the motor is done, then you can do anything else you so desire. A new $25k bike is ONLY the beginning UNLESS ur leaving it stock.... uh huh NOT. My personal vote and if I were in your shoes, I'd update what I've got.
That would put $20k in your pocket at least and that's a whole wad of cash. Either way, you'll be smiling. Good, bad or indifferent economy, $20k is a nice little chunk of change.

Last edited by Badbagger; 07-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an '04 Ultra..and I test rode an '09. After the sticker shock, I thought to myself
what the new bike had, that I had to have....and what I didn't like about my bike.
1. My bike is paid off.
2. I installed primary self adjuster.
3. Installed cam gears.
4. Installed Harley EZ clutch.
I am happy with my 88" engine, don't need the new bikes fat rear tire.
I sure did like the 6 speed, but I don't travel far at above 70 mph speeds.
I couldn't get very much more than $12,000 for my bike, and a new one runs
upwards of $24K...no brainer for me.
Anyhow...I updated mine a bit. Cost a little over a grand...but I am happy
with what I have.

Chuck

Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer

Your bike isn't that old. It's also a really nice bike. Stick with it, put a little $ back into it if you want, and remember - the grass is always greener.

Quick Reply: Update mine or get a new one?