Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pc3 and laptop

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default pc3 and laptop

I have been tossing around getting a laptop so I can do my own maps.
I am currently using a V&H fuelpak. Although they have been very helpful and I am very pleased with the help they have given me. However I do have to email them and wait on the map but so far all the maps they have given me has worked well.
I would like to be able to do my own custom maps for my bike not a basic map.
I simply do not like loud mufflersl. Hearing the pipes is a good thing. I am working on a set of baffles but no map will be had with the fuelpak as they will be custom.

My questions are:
With the usb pc3 will I be able to do good maps using a laptop

will it still be necessary to do dyno tuning

dd
In God we Trust

Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

to get teh most out of the motor that you can, you can't substitute dyno tuning. If you like to tinker and mess with maps, then you can get a map thats close and take it from there with your laptop.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber

My questions are:
With the usb pc3 will I be able to do good maps using a laptop

will it still be necessary to do dyno tuning

In God we Trust
Starting from scratch with a PCIII it would be necessary to perform a dyno tune, although if you buy from Fuel Moto you will get a map installed that will be accurate for your setup.

I don't know what year-model you own, but if it is an '02 or later you should buy a PCV, which will give you the option of upgrading to Auto-Tune in the future, or just go for the whole caboodle from the outset. The PCV costs about $20 more than a PCIII, has more modern technology, is smaller, has more features, is switch-ready without a $150 hub, and upgrades to AT. With AT you may never need a dyno tune again regardless of future upgrades (cams, pipes, etc.).

Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
Starting from scratch with a PCIII it would be necessary to perform a dyno tune, although if you buy from Fuel Moto you will get a map installed that will be accurate for your setup.

I don't know what year-model you own, but if it is an '02 or later you should buy a PCV, which will give you the option of upgrading to Auto-Tune in the future, or just go for the whole caboodle from the outset. The PCV costs about $20 more than a PCIII, has more modern technology, is smaller, has more features, is switch-ready without a $150 hub, and upgrades to AT. With AT you may never need a dyno tune again regardless of future upgrades (cams, pipes, etc.).

That may be the route I need to go.
I have an 07 Ultra Classic with SE 255 cams but 96 inch engine. I do not feel the need to go 103 with my cams.
I will look at the pcV

thanks
In Go we Trust

dd

Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

That may be the route I need to go.
I have an 07 Ultra Classic with SE 255 cams but 96 inch engine. I do not feel the need to go 103 with my cams.
I will look at the pcV
I also have a TC96 with the SE255's, and have also added the Fuel Moto Power Package (PCV, AC, and Dyno-Tuned Jackpot mufflers). It's a combo that goes very well together, but you can't use these mufflers with true-duals. I can't tell from the photo but I assume you have already upgraded mufflers and AC, in which case you would only need the PCV.

I failed to mention one tip on your notebook computer quest. I bought a netbook that I can carry on bike trips with me, and it has the PC software installed. It is very small, weighs 2#, and easily fits inside a saddlebag. The lack of a mechanical hard drive should make it more durable shaking around in a Harley saddlebag. This one is a refurb but I wouldn't hesitate buying it for this price, as I've never had bad luck with refurbs:

http://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodi...f=pricegrabber

Last edited by iclick; 07-28-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I still curse the fact the PCV wasn't out when i got my power commander

Old 07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

The main reason to get my pipes a little less loud. I am using the SE 64895-07a mufflers. They were perfect until I changed the cams. I like the performance and mpg I am getting now but would like to have a little less noise.
Yes I am running true duals.
I have thought about putting the stock headers back on and plugging the left side to make it 2 into 1 to see if that would get me where I want to go.
I have 3 set of mufflers outside of the factory units.
Old style off road SE mufflers, sound awesome but way too loud.
V&H basic 4 inch round mufflers too loud, great performance
and the other set of SE's
Thinking about trying the supertrap SE's, they claim only 3db over stock

I am deaf on my left ear and have lost around 40% in my right thanks to a couple of B-40 rockets.
I would like to keep what I have left.

In God we Trust

dd

Last edited by dirtdobber; 07-28-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The main reason to get my pipes a little less loud. I am using the SE 64895-07a mufflers. They were perfect until I changed the cams. I like the performance and mpg I am getting now but would like to have a little less noise.
I understand the issue with noise, as my bike also raised its volume a level or two after the cam change, which is a side-effect of having the increased duration and lift. In an attempt to squelch it I reduced the right-side baffle from 2" to 1.75", where 90% or more of the volume comes from with these mufflers, and although it helped it's still louder than it was before with the stock cams. I certainly wouldn't go back and am living with the slight noise increase, which I don't consider excessive or a problem.

Yes I am running true duals. I have thought about putting the stock headers back on and plugging the left side to make it 2 into 1 to see if that would get me where I want to go.
That's the way the DT Jackpots work, and they emulate a 2-into-1 with the reversion cone in the left side. This restricts the flow considerably over a conventional symmetrical muffler design, but that's the secret to the performance increase. I would recommend that you go back to the stock head pipes and install the Jackpots, but they will undoubtedly be louder than your SE's, the latter of which are about as quiet as mufflers go outside of stock.

You might call Jamie at Fuel Moto and quiz him about your need to keep the noise down and what he suggests. He won't BS you and will give you the straight poop.

I have 3 set of mufflers outside of the factory units. Old style off road SE mufflers, sound awesome but way too loud. V&H basic 4 inch round mufflers too loud, great performance and the other set of SE's. Thinking about trying the supertrap SE's, they claim only 3db over stock.
An increase of 3DB over stock doesn't sound like much, but it is about a 41% increase in sound level. With the stock cams the DT Jackpots are 1.9DB over stock, which is a 24% increase, and they are noticeably but not excessively louder than stock. To me they are about right with the stock cams and 2" right-side baffle, and a smidgeon too loud with the SE255's and smaller baffle.

I am deaf on my left ear and have lost around 40% in my right thanks to a couple of B-40 rockets. I would like to keep what I have left.
We live in the same state, have the same cams installed, and both have hearing loss in the left ear from action in, I presume, Vietnam. My hearing loss in the left ear isn't total yet but it's getting worse with age, and the right ear is also deteriorating slowly. I too want to keep the trauma of exhaust noise to a minimum, but this is about as far as I'm willing to go. Getting it quieter will mean a performance decrease and right now I'm marginally happy with the noise volume, quite pleased with the exhaust tone, and elated with the performance level.

Last edited by iclick; 07-28-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Actually my SE mufflers are pretty loud. I have the biketronics 180 watt amps and have to turn the volume up to 5 or 6 bars which is a lot.
Thank you for your input
You have helped me many times.
Thank you for serving

In God we Trust

dd

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

instead of the laptop, had you considered parking your bike near a window where your desktop computer is? i ended up going to tulsa to a best buy store and got a longer usb cable extension. it worked fine, and i was able to download a new map from keith at fuelmoto. sure a lot cheaper than buying another computer.

Quick Reply: pc3 and laptop