Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an 09 much better then an 06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is an 09 much better then an 06?

I stopped at the local dealer to pick up some parts. I started walking through the bikes. That was the first mistake. Then the salesman came up to see if I needed some help. Turned out I knew the guy. He didnt push a sale at all. He told me I just need to ride a newer bike. Then there was an 09 SG in the red sunglow. I love that color. He said they have $2000 off msrp right now on the 09's. He was a firefighter in the village where I am a cop. He said that will get me more of a discount. Not sure how much? I still owe a a good amount on my bike. With the trade in (they havent seen my bike if that matters?) I would break even. The list of mods on my bike is about as long as I am tall. Do I run and not looK back? Or do I think about it? I could swap some stuff over I think? Would the PM wheels on my 06 swap over?

What do you guys think?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
digz`
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09's suck dude Specially SG's that are red hot sunglow

as for the wheels i dont think they will

Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
neano62
Tourer

Street Glides Suck Dude! Road Glide is where its at!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Break even on a '06 to '09 trade-in? If you like the '09, without having to invest too much more, I would think the new warranty and future trade value would make it worth while. YMMV.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it! I rode an '05 RKC before testing an '09 and the difference in throttle response, handling and braking was night and day.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd recommend NOT test-riding a 2009 unless you're planning to buy one . . . They really ARE better. For 2009 they have the overall gearing set up just right to take advantage of the 96 cubic inch motor and six-speed trans. My 2007 Road King is geared too tall, and my 2009 Ultra is perfect. The new frame is outstanding.

And the red is gorgeous.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 06 UC to a 09 UC. Best thing I ever did. Much better ride, handling and power. Gearing is perfect.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Day and Night difference when I went from '06 RKC to '09 Ultra. Glad I made the right choice even today...The '10's doesn't justify.

Happy Ultra Owner,

Thorey

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I'd recommend NOT test-riding a 2009 unless you're planning to buy one . . . They really ARE better. For 2009 they have the overall gearing set up just right to take advantage of the 96 cubic inch motor and six-speed trans. My 2007 Road King is geared too tall, and my 2009 Ultra is perfect. The new frame is outstanding.

And the red is gorgeous.
What he said. I test rode a 2009 Ultra about 3 months ago and if I wouldn't take a beating on trade-in on the 2007 EGC I have now, I'd be riding a 2009 instead.

And we've always wanted a red bike.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Throttle Jock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FFeric
I stopped at the local dealer to pick up some parts. I started walking through the bikes. That was the first mistake. Then the salesman came up to see if I needed some help. Turned out I knew the guy. He didnt push a sale at all. He told me I just need to ride a newer bike. Then there was an 09 SG in the red sunglow. I love that color. He said they have $2000 off msrp right now on the 09's. He was a firefighter in the village where I am a cop. He said that will get me more of a discount. Not sure how much? I still owe a a good amount on my bike. With the trade in (they havent seen my bike if that matters?) I would break even. The list of mods on my bike is about as long as I am tall. Do I run and not looK back? Or do I think about it? I could swap some stuff over I think? Would the PM wheels on my 06 swap over?

What do you guys think?
I traded my 06 EGC for that red hot sunglo 09 SG two months ago. Got a bit of equity for my old bike and could not be happier with the new one. I took off all the chrome and goodies that I had on the EG before trade in and are now on my SG or have been sold. Give them back the stock bike because they won't give you any extra for the add ons. Keep in mind that your 06 is going to keep losing value simply because it doesn't have the 96 engine. And if you can get 2 grand off and make them throw in some goodies like a gift card and 1000 mile service then you're looking at a pretty good deal. There should be some equity in your current ride if you have had it 3 years. I say go for it. Only live once! And no the wheels are different size in 09.

Quick Reply: Is an 09 much better then an 06?