Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Maxx EFI Tuner????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
nt6977
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Maxx EFI Tuner????

Has anyone bought a Ride Maxx EFI Tuner yet? If so how do you like it or are you sorry that you bought it? How hard was the install? How much did you have to pay for it? Any info would help out. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
ssmith2b
Stage I

Hello I just bought the power pack kit,which came with the ride maxx.it really helps,on mileage and power.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Put one on the wifes Softail in Februray. Install took all of 10 minutes, and that includes removing and re-installing the seat.

its a great system, easy to use, and really increases performance right away, without a dyno. You can adjust the tuning as YOU want it, without having to pay someone hundreds of dollars to do it for you.

I paid the full retail priice as I bought it from thier website, and I am planning to get one for my bike this winter.

Love the fact that you can install it without any mechanical abilities whatsoever. Simply unplug the ECM, plug in the ridemaxx, and plug the ECM back in...DONE! nothing could be simpler to use.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 AM
capncarl
6th Gear

Hello all, I have the Ridemaxx Plus on my 06 Ultra. It works great. The thing is we have all gone through the same ole thing. Stage one ECM and slip ons...sounds good not much change in performance. True Duals and lost gas mileage,torque and lost heat (good thing). I looked into everything, PC, SERT, Fuel Pak everything. What I found in the Ridemaxx is something that is easy and is by far more tuneable than their ad shows. You can actually have up to six maps in the Plus version and they are sequentially selected by the Power/Econ buttons on the Ride Tuner. Being that my '06 is an open loop system without O2 sensors, this allows me to develop maps for different Altitudes. essentially I can lean the ole girl up a bit to keep from being rich on fuel because the stock ECM can only compensate so much. I can do this without expensive trips to the dyno on my laptop at home at my own pace. Then switch maps while riding without stopping from two buttons on my handlebar. Now how great is that? You tune your Ridemaxx to your riding style by putting fuel in or taking it away precisely at the rpm and load you ride at. I don't know about you guys but my WOT days are long behind me... been riding 41 years. Is it going to give you maximum horsepower...probably not...but my Ultra is for touring and the performance gains and tuneability I have gained far outweigh any Dyno bragging rights. I can now tune this bike for me and that is what I love about my Ridemaxx Plus. If you screw up the tuning just re-load the basemap for your setup and your off and going again. Or if you want to plug and play you can do just that with less than an hour of install time. And if you sell the bike and want to keep the Ridemaxx...just unplug it and the bike goes back to the original ECM settings before the Ridemaxx install. Dang I sound like a sales guy but I am not...I have no affiliation with the manufacturer...I am just a guy that rides anywhere from mid-TN, to the Gulf and through the Rockies and so far I am happy with my Ridemaxx.

capncarl

Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
capncarl
6th Gear
Default forgot to mention

Did I mention you don't need expensive cables and software? Just a computer with bluetooth capabilities or a bluetooth dongle in your laptop (OK I am waiting for "dongle" comments") Ridemaxx comes with the software....just sayin'

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM
lims
6th Gear
Default Thx

Thx for the write-up, I am thinking of getting the Ridemaxx for my Rocker as well and the information here is invaluable.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
col_kurtz
Advanced

Originally Posted by capncarl
Did I mention you don't need expensive cables and software? Just a computer with bluetooth capabilities or a bluetooth dongle in your laptop (OK I am waiting for "dongle" comments") Ridemaxx comes with the software....just sayin'
If someone is on this website they are operating a computer and most know what a dongle is. It lost snicker value about 15 years ago.

I bought a RideMaxx a year ago. It works very well. The Bluetooth comms were a little flaky when mounted on the left bar by the clutch lever. The Tuner also eats batteries bad. I just got an RMA unit with an upgrade to the Plus package, (thanks Joe!!). I found using a Spectrum Analyzer designed for WIFI networks that the Bluetooth in Paging/Inquiry mode was transmitting around -110 to -117 dbm. This is not good. Should be up around -90dbm or higher at a minimum. I tested the new tuner and its showing a -89 to -90 dbm in paging/inquiry mode. I'll install it tonight on the RK and post a report

(Note: Bluetooth operates in the same Industrial,Medical,and Science RF spectrum of 2.4 to roughly 2.5 Ghz. So does 802.11b Wifi, Microwave Ovens, many cordless phones, various wireless security systems and so forth.)

Last edited by col_kurtz; 08-27-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 AM
col_kurtz
Advanced

Removed the original and installed the replacement RideMaxx. Install was easy. Had to delete the old RideMaxx in Bluetooth and it also changed the com port from 9 to 12 but that was simple enough to correct. The Plus unit also has a trim setting for Acceleration and Decel. There was a map pre loaded but I had worked up a map myself and loaded it. Once installed I fired up the bike and I will say that the Ride Tuner works and mounted on the left handlebar next to the clutch lever. Before I would just get a "pink" LED and no comms. I had to mount it on the rise of the right handlebar and it was flaky comms at best. Took her out for a spin and the performance was what I expected. The RideMaxx always worked as a fuel management system I just couldn't use the "map on the fly" capability. I was switching back and forth from auto to performance to eco and back without a hitch. I just figure I got an early production unit the first time. Now its in a box and going back to them.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
flhxi-3
Novice

I have the Ridemaxx on my 2009 Flhtc works good bike is smooth and 46 mph Talked to Joe at Ridemaxx auto setting goes between performance and ecom as you drive

Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
col_kurtz
Advanced

Rode the RK to work today, seems to run even smoother than the original Unit I had installed. Definitely no intermittent popping like I had before. I have to guess that the original lots of the RideMaxx had some issues, or I got the one made on Friday afternoon or Monday Morning, but then again does that really matter in chinese sweat shops?

Last edited by col_kurtz; 08-27-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Ride Maxx EFI Tuner????