Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
monsterglide2008
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight bulb replacement

I have read quite a few threads and am confused on the best headlight bulb replacement for 2008 electra glide classic. Since the manual (owner/service) only reference a Harley part number I need to know what I need to replace. I've seen descriptions such as H4 but am not sure. I tried some of the local autoshops and get goofy looks for asking so...

I can't afford any of the expensive conversions at this time and want the best bulb for the buck. Hi beam is acceptable but my low beam has gone to heck. I need to brighten that up even with the spot lights on. Just plain dangerous in my book. Not sure how this could dim and not just blow out.

Your specific recommendations would be appreciated on a vibration rated bulb for my bike.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is an H4.

I just picked up a Philips Motovision bulb on ebay for under $10 shipped. Retails for around $25. It is brighter (not whiter) than stock and throws light a little further down the road. It also casts a slight orange glow into the reflector. Supposed to be an attention getter as it stands out among a sea of regular headlights.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
SurlyBear
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the H4 base there are tons of choices out there. This is a very popular base and was used on a bunch of crotch-rockets (and others) for YEARS. There are a lot of replacement bulbs that will have different Kelvin ratings for different colors. There are also a lot of HID kits that will cost $$$$. Your best bet is to search for the Motovision like Monstermile did.

Also, if you want to change the color cheaply, there are sleeves that go over the bulb to alter the color. I certainly don't recommend them because of the vibration, their potential for shortening bulb life, and falling off in the headlight...

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

There is also the Sylvania Silverstar get the h4st part number, but it is a little more than the other one listed above. If I remember correctly it is about $25 shipped. Brighter and whiter.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

PIAA Extreme white H4 is another anti vibe bright bulb. It has a blue tint. also if your reflector is hazy clean it while you're into the light

Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the silverstars in my head light and driving lights.

available at most auto parts stores

Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the piaa and it works great. I have been asked a few times if it was an HID.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i just changed out my bulb last week. i used the hella #9003 h4style. harley sells their hi performance bulb for 30 bucks. i got a pair of identical bulbs for just at 40. now i got a spare sitting on the shelf in my shop. my hi po harley bulb lasted about a year.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a Silverstar in my SG till the low beam burnt out. ITwas whiter than stock HD but I didn't like it for daytime driving. Too hard for drivers to see. The stock HD is a little yellower but easier to notice in daylight.
If you do mostly daytime riding, stick with stock.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I upgraded to the Silverstar Ultra which I ran on high beam all the time, except in traffic at night. No one ever complained (flashed me), but it was as bright as the sun. I had a buddy ride it towards me so I could see it in motion and I really liked it.

It lasted 4 months til high beam burnt out.

Just installed a MotoVision bulb. We'll see how long it lasts and if it performs like the SS.

Quick Reply: headlight bulb replacement