Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Smyln
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Being 2 years since I posted here about a brighter headlamp, discovered German Auto Parts from another forum. It's the 4th bulb down for $12.45 each. Reliable company with super fast shipping. Just tell them this is for a Harley-Davidson and they'll know what bulb your talking about.

Have had mine now for over a year. Talking about bright! Wow! I've turned all my riding pals onto this bulb and everyone is more than happy with end results. Originally for off road vehicles, but does my Road King wonders for being seen (daytime) and seeing at night.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4
The bulb you listed is an alternative H4 bulb that is 80/100W correct?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Smyln
HL78159 - 100/80W H4, 2,900 Lumens, 100 Hr Avg Life (NOT LEGAL FOR HIGHWAY USE)

Is this the bulb you run?
Yes, this is bulb I've been running for years in both stock and E-code headlights. The E-codes and high-wattage bulbs are both theoretically illegal for highway use in the U.S., but I've never had anyone raise any eyebrows. I've also run E-codes on some of my cars. The Hella E-code headlights look like any other fluted headlight and none of the markings give them away, so I don't know how anyone could tell. BTW, I'm not sure about the meaning of the 100-hr. avg. life claim, as they always last for years on my bikes and cars.

And for the switching, you are saying get a relay and a 15 amp fuse connected to the battery then connect to the low or high beams. Correct? How do I determine which relay to get.
No, you don't need a relay for the headlight/bulb conversion, as both are direct replacements. Not to complicate the discussion, but there actually is a good argument for using a relay on the headlight. If you put a VOM on the headlight connector while the engine is running, you'll get an output of around 12V on both high- and low-beam. Put the VOM on the battery while the engine is running you'll see at least 13V, and the difference can make a major change in light output. The downside is that it will decrease the life of the bulb, probably quite a bit. There are some aftermarket relay kits for this very purpose, and Motorcycle Consumer News tested one of these several years ago. I could try to dig-up this test if anyone is interested. I didn't bother using a relay because I consider the light output to be impressive enough and I don't want to decrease the lifespan of the bulb.

In my previous reply I mentioned the relay only for connecting the driving lights you had mentioned. BTW, what driving lights are you considering? I've toyed with adding some lighting to the front, but never found anything that moved me sufficiently.

Last edited by iclick; 05-10-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like a couple of others, I switched to an E code reflector and lens by Hella combined with a PIAA extreme white bulb. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. A heck of a lot les expensive than the moco LED.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Smyln
The bulb you listed is an alternative H4 bulb that is 80/100W correct?
Correct. The Osram/Sylvania 80/100. 4th one down from the top. Supposely illegal for road use, but cages don't flash there high beams at me unless I have my high beams on myself. Passed many cops day & night's since installing. I doubt they will pull me over and have me remove bulb for an inspection anytime soon.

Last edited by wagsrk08; 05-10-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Correct. The Osram/Sylvania 80/100. 4th one down from the top. Supposely illegal for road use, but cages don't flash there high beams at me unless I have my high beams on myself. Passed many cops day & night's since installing. I doubt they will pull me over and have me remove bulb for an inspection anytime soon.
OLD THREAD REVIVAL TIME!

That Osram/Sylvania 80/100 must put a helluva strain on the charging system!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
OLD THREAD REVIVAL TIME!

That Osram/Sylvania 80/100 must put a helluva strain on the charging system!
It's only 5 years old!

I've been using 55/60 H4's purchased off EBay for about $4 with great success. I have the 5,000K which are much brighter than stock. No reason to spend more for bulbs.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
It's only 5 years old!

I've been using 55/60 H4's purchased off EBay for about $4 with great success. I have the 5,000K which are much brighter than stock. No reason to spend more for bulbs.
This bulb should be brighter, but I wonder if it is.
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70456-Xtreme-White-Plus/dp/B000TK3U4O
Which are you referring to?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
This bulb should be brighter, but I wonder if it is.
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70456-Xtr.../dp/B000TK3U4O
Which are you referring to?
The PIAA's are good bulbs. This particular one is only 4000K color which is only a little brighter than stock. BUT, it's $40.

These are what I've been getting and they are now $10 for two of them shipped. They are 5,000K which is much brighter and they last about a year - I ride about 20K per year. You can get 6,000K bulbs too which are a bit brighter (and have a bluish tint) but don't last quite as long. Yes, they are cheap and from China but they seem to work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-FXSTD...0dd1db&vxp=mtr

Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 AM
kevdon
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have been running the 80/100 osram/sylvania for for almost 6 yrs. with no problems. Can't see spending hundreds for the new led style.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
The PIAA's are good bulbs. This particular one is only 4000K color which is only a little brighter than stock. BUT, it's $40.

These are what I've been getting and they are now $10 for two of them shipped. They are 5,000K which is much brighter and they last about a year - I ride about 20K per year. You can get 6,000K bulbs too which are a bit brighter (and have a bluish tint) but don't last quite as long. Yes, they are cheap and from China but they seem to work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-FXSTD...0dd1db&vxp=mtr

The 4000K, 5000K, and 6000K are not measurements of how bright the lamps are but rather their Kelvin temperature rating. Which has to do with color not intensity.

Carry on

Quick Reply: headlight bulb replacement