Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide - silicon leak out of fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 11:35 AM
jcanrun
|
Tourer
Default Road Glide - silicon leak out of fairing?

sounds weird, but i noticed on the right side fairing at the rear where the seam is between the inner fairing and outer fairing, there is a weird clear sticky substance (no jokes) coming out of the seam. it appears to be clear silicone to me. don't notice it on the left side. for all the road gliders out there, anyone notice this? is there silicon inside the fairing to seal something? there should be no heat besides the heat from the sun that should cause this.

ps: i'm pretty sure its not the silicon i used to plug the hole in the front of my swing arm. haha.

Old 07-27-2009 | 12:57 PM
cigar06
Intermediate

My 06 has a similar substance at the seal between inner and outer fairing in the left side handlebar area. Haven't had the fairing apart and just figured it was sealer or adhesive, something like that. I have ridden in 100 degree heat so that may have softened it up. Just kind of a tacky small amount at the seam.

Old 07-27-2009 | 01:02 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

The inner fairing has a U-channel trim around it, the glue that attaches it to the fairing gets soft and gooey out in the sun. I tried to wipe it off and it just made a mess. Probably need some type of solvent but I was a little hesitant with everything being plastic.

Old 07-27-2009 | 01:45 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

I haven't noticed any such silicon on my fairing. How much heat is the bike sitting in to cause this?

Old 07-27-2009 | 01:47 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
The inner fairing has a U-channel trim around it, the glue that attaches it to the fairing gets soft and gooey out in the sun. I tried to wipe it off and it just made a mess. Probably need some type of solvent but I was a little hesitant with everything being plastic.
I think that is what it is. I have seen the same thing. T.

Old 07-27-2009 | 02:36 PM
ezglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
That's exactly what it is. I've had the same thing happen in the heat as well. Not sure about which solvent to use but to me it looked like once cooled you could roll it off like dried rubber cement. Anyway I've been waiting to remove my outer fairing to tackle a few mini projects at the same time (redoing the trim is one).

Here's a thread with alternatives to HD's stock adhesive used by other members:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-fairing.html

Old 07-27-2009 | 02:47 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

Yep, it's the adhesive breaking down. No fix except to take the little rubber weatherstripping off the next time you remove the fairing and clean it with solvent. You can then use weatherstripping adhesive or clear RTV sealant to glue it back on. Ask me how i know this.

Old 07-27-2009 | 04:46 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Yep, it's the adhesive breaking down. No fix except to take the little rubber weatherstripping off the next time you remove the fairing and clean it with solvent. You can then use weatherstripping adhesive or clear RTV sealant to glue it back on. Ask me how i know this.
Probably the same way I learned it. RTV didn't work for me. I used a trim adhesive that I found at the auto parts store and that stuck it down for good.

Old 07-27-2009 | 04:52 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Same thing with mine. You will soon end up just pulling the trim off and cleaning the solvent off.

Old 07-27-2009 | 04:56 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FunkyNova66
I haven't noticed any such silicon on my fairing. How much heat is the bike sitting in to cause this?
Mine sits in 100-110 degrees (in the shade) everyday while I am at work. Way hot enough to melt most things.

Quick Reply: Road Glide - silicon leak out of fairing?