Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on a road trip to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's good way to go. Head for Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park is a good stop. Take the Cat to Yarmouth. If you have the space, it's smart to pack a pair of Soft Ties and tie downs since the rider is responsible for securing his own bike and they only supply 4" industrial tie straps. All of NS is nice but we enjoy touring along the east coast. Rte 103 is a TransCanada but you can turn off and take shore drives anywhere along the way (like Rte 1 and Rte 1A down here). Peggys Cove west of Halifax is a popular and picturesque fishing village with a light house and a restaurant at the point. The Cabot Trail is great either way but I prefer going COUNTER-clockwise. More of the vistas are in front of you IMHO and you're on the outer lane of the road. After the Cabot Trail, head west to Pictou and take the ferry to PEI, west on PEI (nice shore roads or RTE 1) and then take the bridge to NB. If you are planning to visit PEI, which is scenic, this path is better because you only pay to get off the island. The ferry ride TO Nova Scotia is expensive; the same ferry ride to PEI is free. The toll for the bridge to NB is a whole lot less than the ferry expense. We usually go from Moncton to Saint John and enter the US at Calais, Me. We have picked up Rte 2 near Skowhegan, Me and taken it west to the Mount Washington valley in NH and then wandered through the White Mountains. If you have the time. looping up to the west, central part of Moosehead Lake, Me (Rte 15 and 201) is nice.

Pack your passports and watch for moose.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from New Brunswick, the "drive-through Province"! ;>)

I'll second what Slackerzinc said, if you're in New Brunswick at any point during your trip, check out Fundy Park, lots of beautiful scenery. And then there's another place just down the road from Fundy Park called Cape Enrage, you'll get a spectacular panoramic view of the Bay of Fundy.

You'll love Nova Scotia, what a beautiful place!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this trip last year. Send me an email PM with your email address and I will send you the complete file. I too took the ferry from Portsmouth Maine to Yarmouth. I have routes, hotels, scenic must-see's, etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One last question

Thanks for all the help guys...
I've pretty much have the trip planned out. Sat - Sat. I would rather not pre-book
rooms as I don't know "exactly" how many miles I will cover a day due to site seeing and weather. NS is huge, some area's more populated than others of course. I will be spending 90% of my time along the coast. Is it "safe" to not book a room and be pretty sure you will get something as you are driving. Or would it be wist to pre-book all the rooms at teh 275/300 mile stops I "think" I am going to do.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually call ahead to book a room a couple of hours before I get there. That way, you're not wandering all over a strange town looking for vacancies at the last minute.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by jlacasci
I've pretty much have the trip planned out. Sat - Sat. I would rather not pre-book
rooms as I don't know "exactly" how many miles I will cover a day due to site seeing and weather. NS is huge, some area's more populated than others of course. I will be spending 90% of my time along the coast. Is it "safe" to not book a room and be pretty sure you will get something as you are driving. Or would it be wist to pre-book all the rooms at teh 275/300 mile stops I "think" I am going to do.

Thanks,
Joe

you won't have any problems finding rooms.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joe,
My buddies and I just did PEI and most of Nova Scotia, if you have a Garmin GPS I'll send ya the routes we did, it's got Motels and stops along the way.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlacasci
Is it "safe" to not book a room and be pretty sure you will get something as you are driving.

Thanks,
Joe

We've toured there a number of times and never pre-booked a room and had no problems finding a good room at the end of the day.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser

I live in Nova Scotia. I suggest coming here via Route 1 in Maine to Lubec. Cross the border there to Campobello and take the ferry ($13 I think, no reservations needed) to Deer Island, and from there take the ferry to near St. George, New Brunswick. Then to Saint John and through Fundy National Park (through Alma, etc.) and back to the Trans Canada Highway near Moncton, NB. On to Nova Scotia and take Hwy 6 (Sunrise Trail) from Amherst, NS, and just outside Amherst take Hwy 366 (a scenic detour). That takes you past my place at Amherst Shore. Stop for a brew!! House # 6327 on the water side of the highway. Carry on back to Hwy 6 to Pugwash and Pictou and then TCH 104 to Cape Breton. Do the Cabot Trail for sure. Then back on the mainland to Antigonish and take Hwy 7 which takes to to the Atlantic Ocean side of NS and then on to Halifax. A beautiful city. South of Halifax to Hwy 3 and/or 103. That takes you (with some side roads) to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and more all the way to Yarmouth where you can take the Cat to Bar Harbour or Portland, Me. Or continue in NS through the Annapolis Valley on Route 101 to link with 102 to Truro. About 10 miles west of Truro take Hwy 2 (a coastal road along the Bay of Fundy) and Hwy 302 back to Amherst (where you entered NS if following this itinerary!!!!). Need more info? PM me. Rob

Last edited by robfaulkner; 08-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've shared my route on the HD road planner. If you'd care to review it, launch the ride
planner, click on the "roads icon" near the top, be sure to check the rider submitted box
on the left, then zoom in on RI. It's names RI-to-NS-08142009.

Thanks,
Joe