Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
captainjohn
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 550 with the HD faring mount. It is neat and clean with only one wire running to the ACC jack. I also went with the XM antenna placed under the front faring. Can get weather, traffic, and a zillion music channels. There is a guy sellling a rather simple and inexpensive setups to allow you to answer and place phone calls using your standard helmet headsets via bluetooth. This can also include the passenger if you want. Site is http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/

As said before the 550 comes with both the MC and car mounts plus black top and bottom caps to replace the all sliver ones.

Last edited by captainjohn; 07-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
bigcletus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Road Tech 660 ($599) from Chicago HD. What I find might strange is that it comes with a car mount but not a bike mount . WTF ?? You have to buy it separate..but if you buy the OEM Garmin it has both in the box.. again..WTF ? I guess it's true.."H-D" stands for "hundreds of dollars"

Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the 550 also and really like it. also added the xm radio antena and the fm traffic and weather option.

i have it hooked up thru a product called amplirider which mixes input from 3 different devices. currently i have both the ipod and the gps running thru it to the aux port on the radio (ultra 07)

with the amplirider i can listen to the ipod and still receive directions from the gps. it also has a volume control which i mounted on my fairing.

the only problem with this whole setup is that if i listen to the harley radio or cd or weather then i don't get the gps instructions. the CB does override everything else however so i still get that even thou i am playing thru the aux.

but back to the 550 - really like it and have no problems with it. however, if you have never had a gps before, you do kinda have to understand how they will pick a route. if you really know the area, then sometimes you are surprised at the route, but that is just because you know of a better one.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had now that I think about it to many GPS untis. I started with the HK built in unit. I liked that it was invisible. Sorry to say poor user interface and difficulty of the unit finding address lead me to look for some thing different.
I got TomTom Rider 2 next. Good unit and worked well. Down side must have blue tooth helmet to hear directions. I have four different helmets for different riding situations. Requiring for each helmet change became old fast. I purchased Zumo 550 for the HD Dealer. It's integration to the Head unit via Aux input gave me what I wanted. All the options, play through speakers or headset my choice. I use it all the time because it is my music source, XM and MP3, my gas gauge, mileage checker and trip tracker in one unit. The unit interface if perfect for use on a motorcycle. Since my SG doesn't have mirrors mounted in the brake or clutch control housings I have it mounted on the clutch side were the mirror would mount.

I installed a Zumo 660 on a friends bike. Nice unit and I'm sure I would get used to it but I prefer the user interface on the 550 tactical buttons.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

is there enough room for a map somewhere? just saying......