Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I posted a review about the differences between the Zumo 550 and the 660 awhile back in case you're interested. Be fore-warned...it's long-winded!
It's post #15 I believe.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=76114

Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
jivo
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin Nuvi 765W and a RAM mount. I didn't get the waterproof mount but probably will in the future. It has an MP3 player I plug into my Aux port and the directions mute the music and come through the speakers. I use the Bluetooth for my phone in my cage but turn it off on my phone when on my bike. I don't want the distraction. It works great and is about half the price of the Zumo. It has a larger screen also.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin 760 works for me.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CW4_131A

Finding your way home when you program the thing for, "no interstates, no highways" means you're traveling back roads and finding the best parts of America.
Maybe not everywhere, but in Vermont go with "no interstates, no highways" but also click on no "UNPAVED ROADS" or you might end up directed to something more like a cow path. There was a newspaper account of two vehicles getting stuck on a snowmobile path last winter as they blindly followed their GPS guidance...

Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
TheDon81
Tourer

I've had a Magellan Crossover (2500t) on my bike for 4k miles and I have had no issues with it. Heck of alot cheaper than the Garmin too.

Last edited by TheDon81; 07-29-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM
absame
Advanced

I've had the zumo 660 for about a month and i love it, but be aware there is a bug when using certain headsets with the phone. Garmin is aware of it and it's mentioned on the zumo forum. Makes using the phone on the bike through the garmin pretty much impossible. They're working on a fix.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
hotshot
Tourer

Great points folks, this is an awesome forum for info.

Thanks and keep them coming.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

I've had the Zumo 550 about 1.5 years now and it has been flawless so far. Haven't had the need for the XM option yet but looking into it, got plenty of music! It did have a bad car cradle right out of the box that I didn't notice for almost the first year (had it plugged into an external speaker in the truck) but when I did I called Garmin and they sent me a new one no questions asked, that blew me away. They didn't even ask for the old one back and it was just a bad speaker connection.

One piece of advice, if you only program in your home location and then don't use it to get where you are going (i know people are saying right now...WHAT!) you might enjoy more of the ride, my point is to spend your time riding where you are going by whatever route you choose at the moment, not watching your GPS. When you get ready to leave wherever you end up... just hit the "GO Home" button . You find alot of little out of the way places like that and it just might make your whole trip.
I must admit to routing a few group rides with the companion Garmin software called MapSource it's pretty neat.
Caution you do have to purchase the map updates every couple of years if you want to keep the Garmin updated! I believe the TomTom makes the updates free, which considering the cost of the updates is a really good selling point.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ituran GPS have a reputation of being around for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQkopQSOlA

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Garmin Zumo 550 and like it a lot.

Quick Reply: GPS Recommendations???