Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official 2011 Liquid Cooled Bikes Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 09:55 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

+3...just what he said

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:06 PM
02flh
Cruiser

I don't care how they do it over their. I had a 600cc honda 2 Cly. 4 spd. It did get 50 mpg but it had two engines and a trans before 50,000 miles and when the starter quit I would just open the drivers door shift to 2nd gear and push it and when it would start to fire just jump it and drive off. My Harley at 50000 miles gets 42 mpg and still has the same spark plugs, i did put chain tensioners in it. do I sound medicated I think it time to go to bed,>>>>>>

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:49 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Phurion
Yep, my old 2005 Vulcan 2000 was 125ci's of pure meanness. It was also a good looking engine at that, complete with the dual external push rods that are so Harley'esque in appearance, unlike Yammie's single tube version. There's no reason why Harley can't produce a much larger displacement engine with liquid cooling.

I'd love to have that much motor/power on my Roadie.

That said, I won't buy the first year liquid cooled Harley. Learned my lesson with the '07 SG. Same reason I don't run out and install the latest/greatest OS on my PC's. I'll wait a year and let the bugs get worked out in the public "beta testing".
oopS, I bought an 07 sg. what don't I know?

Kroozeabout.

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:53 PM
carrotzilla
Advanced

Sure water works would be great; maybe some plastic fenders & plasti-chrome to save weight and bigger mufflers......Just got rid of a metric sport-tourer, not as fun but just as hot. Some sound like the HD's are on their last leg. Baggers are the dominant bike in Florida and it's still hot here also!

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:25 AM
Chuck Guitar
Advanced

Carrotzilla...Point taken about the heat. Had no idea the metrics had the same problem. Not really into the plastic tho. Went so far as to replace the fiberglass w/leather on my 91 FLHS, except for the tour pak. Now that it's dated, I'm putting the glass back on,sort of nostalgic now. I'm thinking at first ,plastic was a cheap alternative , then it becomes the next generation technology at some point, and maybe ends up as carbon fiber. As far as weight goes, those carbon fiber mufflers might end up on my new bike when the I need new ones.
My new bike (09 ULTRA) is not near as loud as the 91, and to be honest I'm diggin it. I have tinnitus from bikes and bands and can get into some tunes on the bike now ( that I never thought I wanted). I guess now that I've turned the corner on the new technology I can't turn back . I don't know, but I'm diggin it.

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:15 PM
JKAHD
Advanced
Default Power constraints

Unfortunately available cooling surface area can not increase at the same rate as displacement volume. The most efficient solution is water or oil cooling. However, in keeping with the Harley mystique, Harley needs to develop a radiator that is absolutely minimal in effecting the Harley look. Maybe they could take some inspiration from the clever engineering from Buehl and use the frame as a radiator. It would't take much cooling surface area to do the job.

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:47 PM
Chuck Guitar
Advanced

I'm not sure we need more displacement. To be honest, my '91 80" does me fine. W/a cam, pipes , S&S, it has more power than my stock 09 ULTRA. Maybe not more potential. As for cooling area, my brother routes his oil thru his crashbars.

Old 05-22-2010 | 09:24 PM
utlonghorns416
Road Master

You guys will change your tune. You'll just start saying "my water cooled bike is better then yours" bc its a Harley. If you dont, there will be a whole lot less people on motorcycles.

Old 05-22-2010 | 09:41 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

BMW makes some pretty hi tech oil cooled bikes although they are fugly. I had a VROD and when the fan kicks on at a stop lite you learned what hot really was. Some of the Jap sport tourers are sit on ovens. The big advantage to watercooling is tighter tolerances because of a more stable operating temp. HD has done amazing things with air cooled motors. I would rather they upgrade the motor with oil cooling and not have the big ugly radiator with the fan blowing hot air on me. If you want a heavyweight watercooled bike that sounds good you might go for a boss hoss.
Lastly, the HD aircooled baggers are selling a whole lot better than V-Rods so I think that would be reason enough for their management to think twice about watercooling all their bikes.

Old 05-22-2010 | 09:48 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Guitar
I'm not sure we need more displacement. To be honest, my '91 80" does me fine. W/a cam, pipes , S&S, it has more power than my stock 09 ULTRA. Maybe not more potential. As for cooling area, my brother routes his oil thru his crashbars.
I agree with you, displacement is fine, they need to work on upping the HP and cooling the motor while still burning clean. No reason the TC96 can't make 90HP from the factory and run 30 degrees cooler. Redesign the heads and fuel injection. Competitors do it and so can Harley.

Quick Reply: Official 2011 Liquid Cooled Bikes Thread!