Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED ADVICE! touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009 | 06:57 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I keep mine for a long time, and no problems. Just service often and regular. You won't have any problems getting 100K.

Old 07-25-2009 | 07:12 PM
Ironhand
Road Master

All i can say is WOW... you change bikes faster than some change underwear.... any bike of any brand anymore will last a lot longer than before if you do maintance of them.
worrying about a bike with less than 50 k on the clock is like worrying about getting laid.....
have no fears it will happen

Old 07-25-2009 | 09:43 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

I never consider the warranty because (1) I usually "void" it within the first week and (2) I do my own work. None of the three HDs that I bought new ever saw the inside of a dealer service bay. The way some people act about their bikes and cars, I wonder who really owns the vehicle -- the owner or the dealer?

Old 07-25-2009 | 10:28 PM
TMair
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KopperTop
The way some people act about their bikes and cars, I wonder who really owns the vehicle -- the owner or the dealer?
No $hit, I have a friend who is quite handy and he will not touch his Harley other then to change the oil, and I think last time I talked to him he even has the mechanic do that for him now.
My 99 RKC has 56k on it, runs great, sounds great, and feels great, I do every thing I am capable of doing on my bike, why pay the stealer,or the local.
Terry

Old 07-25-2009 | 10:35 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

Just turned 38K miles on my '07 and it's running better than new. Of course, in my mind, it IS better than brand new. I follow the H-D Service Manual (also H-DForums suggestions) and do all my own maintenance. As far as I'm concerned, this bike is just barely broken-in.

Old 07-25-2009 | 11:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

You do seem like you like to trade often so it may be better for you to continue what you are used to and get a new one. However, I think your 07 will last you way beyond the 50k that you are thinking about, and do it with minimal problems, if any.

Don't pay attention to the complaints that you read on the forum because this forum is full of cry babies and fairly new yuppie type riders that don't know chit about Harleys. There are also a few very knowledgeable Harley bikers here and after awhile you will learn who they are. In the meantime, it can be fun to read all the silly complaints about the dealers, the "moco", the noisy Harleys, etc.

Whichever way that you decide to go will work out for you. That is the beauty of owning a Harley. Ride safe.

Old 07-25-2009 | 11:37 PM
powaypete
Road Master

I'd keep it, many Harleys out there well over the 50k mark.

What you hear here are the ones that have 'problems' with the bike but you never hear about the ones that don't. What is the percentage of no problems compared to those with problems?

Also, if your bike was a "problem child", you would know it and would not be asking. So that is the question you should be asking is, has this bike been good to me? The answer will be your answer.

Read my signature line!!!

Old 07-26-2009 | 12:09 AM
CW4_131A
Road Captain

If you keep the oil lubed, the tires oiled, and check the air in the primary she'll run forever. Oh, and don't forget to adjust the radio volume up and down. Keeps the speakers from drying up.

Old 07-26-2009 | 07:02 AM
checkers
|
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks guys, this is checkers. i appreciate the info. all good! ride safe

Old 07-26-2009 | 07:24 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Don't pay attention to the complaints that you read on the forum because this forum is full of cry babies and fairly new yuppie type riders that don't know chit about Harleys. There are also a few very knowledgeable Harley bikers here and after awhile you will learn who they are. In the meantime, it can be fun to read all the silly complaints about the dealers, the "moco", the noisy Harleys, etc.

truer words have never been spoken. well said tx.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE! touring