Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis - Black Hills - Custer Park - Charging Buffalo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GasCan
Great story and info on the rides. I was in Sturgis last year for the first time but didn't ride as much as I plan to this year when we go back. Just got back from a ride to northern Cal and loved the Pacific Coast. Posted a thread with a link to our you tube footage. Here it is again in case you'd like to see what we saw.
Cool video. I'm from Longview (shown in the sign at the beginning). Spent a lot of my childhood at Long Beach. Thanks for helping bring back a lot of memories.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 07-24-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
janetraff
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buffalo Charging our Motorcycle

WOW! The same thing happened to our group on Saturday the 7th - great day riding - up to Mt. Rushmore --then we had to ride though a herd of more than 100+ buffalo with their babies in CUster State Park! We had 4 bikes in our group - The BUFFALO were crossing the road the cars were stopping to take pics. and we could not get passed so we sat there - all of a sudden a huge female with a baby charged my friend Roger who was first in our group - then Roger hauled *** pasted when he could and then she came for my sister and brother in law on their bike --- Scott & Taunya got a chance to get around and so did Kayla - Then she charged my husband and me - oh my god I never saw rick do a 180 so fast - we rode back to the ranger station to watch them cross the road and saw them try to ram multiple bikes! I was shaking so hard - Then we saw an opportunity with mimimal cars in the way and we went for it - but the buffalos were still on the road - we just hauled *** around all the cars and stopped bikes and got thru --- scared SHITLESS! I have never had so much respect for the BUFFALO! But what a great HIGH too!

STURGIS ROCKED!! RIDE HARD! AND LIVE EVERYDAY AS THOUGH IT WAS YOUR LAST!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
audettd
Tourer

A Harley out running a buffalo???? Bet it didn't have a heli cut 5th gear. Very funny story and consider yourself lucky. I too put myself in a situation on the BRP...I stopped to take a picture of this really cute black bear cub on the side of the rode. I was so concerned with the photo all smarts went out the exhaust pipes. Obviously if there's a small bear cub....there's a large mother really close by...was a stupid thing to do and I now know it.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
JumperPlains
Stage IV

Great pictures. I was down there mid July and loved it.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I rode through Custer State Park last year, and it is indeed unnerving to come around a corner and be staring a huge bison in the face. They are accustomed to being around vehicles, but you never know when one is having a "bad day".

We saw a bunch of cars stopped and people were taking pictures of the burros. One family had left the tailgate on the vehicle open and one lone burro was feasting on whatever he could find to eat back there. Nobody was watching him, it was pretty funny.

The Black Hills is one of my favorite places to visit.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
smittypac
Cruiser

Same thing happened to my wife and I a few years ago. We were stopped in a line of cars and bikes minding our own business when a rather large male charged. He stopped at the side of the road shook his head and snorted a few times!!! Scared the **** out of us.. Since then I have been back to the rally but have not done the wildlife loop in the park.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=harley0711;5313060]Not sure how well these will come out - but here ya go.. Picked up these maps from Rapid City HD - If you go this year and want help on a ride - Call Rapid City HD and ask for 'Paul' Tell him the CA firefighter sent ya and I loved his ideas on what to ride.

Buffalo can be at 30 mph within a few strides. Never know if someone else may have pissed him off. A little late for this year but a secret way into Sturgis fr. Rapid City is that yellow road to the west and north. It avoids the interstate and is a nice ride thru the country.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For real patriotism, go to Mt. Rushmore for Fourth of July. They shoot the fireworks off Washington's head and there are fly-overs from the airforce base in Rapid City (B1 and Stealth fighters). Be aware that the fireworks are on July 3rd so they don't steal the show from the Rapid City shows.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel very fortunate to live in N. GA...less than a two hour ride to the Dragon's trail, Cherohala Skyway, but I can't wait to one day get to ride to the Black Hills area. Thanks for providing all the info.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DBlass
For real patriotism, go to Mt. Rushmore for Fourth of July. They shoot the fireworks off Washington's head and there are fly-overs from the airforce base in Rapid City (B1 and Stealth fighters). Be aware that the fireworks are on July 3rd so they don't steal the show from the Rapid City shows.
We were going there for the 4th this year and the Mt. Rushmore website said that there was going to be no fireworks this year.
So we didn't stop.....maybe next year.

Quick Reply: Sturgis - Black Hills - Custer Park - Charging Buffalo