Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Faring

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 AM
rookie racer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Faring

Took the windsheild off to clean under places i couldnt get to with on . i cannot get the last screw[ middle] to catch . i have tried everything i know. Just wondered if any one else has any tricks.
scott
2006 Road Glide

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
chasd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a handful of well nuts at HD, you will need them. I changed windshields quite a few times looking for the perfect shield. Still looking BTW, sometimes I get it done with reusing the well nuts sometime I lose one or two. They are a buck or so each plus the washer. No big deal but if you have spares.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with the center & work your way out to the edges. Press firmly while starting the screw. BTW, if you decide to buy new wellnuts, get 'em from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. They're less expensive there.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

on my 03 i glued the well nuts in place never had a problem with em.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jinks
Start with the center & work your way out to the edges. Press firmly while starting the screw. BTW, if you decide to buy new wellnuts, get 'em from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. They're less expensive there.
+1 start with the center then the inner left, inner right, outer left, outer right. Snug them by hand them move on to the next until they are all in, then you tighten them down.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
nocages4me
Tourer
Default Chaning Fork Oil in a Road Glide

So what is the easiest way to change the front fork oil on a Road Glide. The manual basically tells you to pull the whole front end. When I was younger and helped my dad we would drain it and re-fill it thru the drain plug but it was kind of a pain. We made a pump that fit the drain hole but you had to hold it in place while you pumped in the new oil and then pull it off really quick and get the screw in before you lost too much oil. Major pain and not as accurate as it should be. There has to be an easier way to do it.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be going about this the wrong way, but I put the well nuts on the windshield. I then push the outside in first and work my way around to the next hole. I use a shoe lace to loop around the well nut and have some one push while pulling toward the next hole. There is enough flex in the shield to do this. Then tighten the screws. I have replaced mine about 4 times like this. I always put masking tape across the top of the fairing so I want accidently scratch it. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rookie racer
Took the windsheild off to clean under places i couldnt get to with on . i cannot get the last screw[ middle] to catch . i have tried everything i know. Just wondered if any one else has any tricks.
scott
2006 Road Glide
Like others here have said....you should start with the center.
When you look at your well nuts, sometimes the brass insert can become
crooked within the rubber well nut. If you push
too hard on getting a screw started, trying to straighten the well nut out,
the well nut may push through and end up falling loose inside the fairing.
I've been lucky when this has happened to me and I've been able to spread
the fairings lower seam apart and the well nut fell out.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
meintel
Cruiser

If you have the manual it tells you to put the well nuts on the windshield first and then push it into the holes on the fairing. This way works really well because you can start the well nut first.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Putting wellnuts on the windshield first works great when using new well nuts. If your re using the old ones than you need to start with the middle work your way out. The biggest trick i find is to use as little pressure as possible when starting the screws, so the well nuts don't get pushed in.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Faring