Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Faring

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nocages4me
So what is the easiest way to change the front fork oil on a Road Glide. The manual basically tells you to pull the whole front end. When I was younger and helped my dad we would drain it and re-fill it thru the drain plug but it was kind of a pain. We made a pump that fit the drain hole but you had to hold it in place while you pumped in the new oil and then pull it off really quick and get the screw in before you lost too much oil. Major pain and not as accurate as it should be. There has to be an easier way to do it.

Good question..... anyone?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
I may be going about this the wrong way, but I put the well nuts on the windshield. I then push the outside in first and work my way around to the next hole. I use a shoe lace to loop around the well nut and have some one push while pulling toward the next hole. There is enough flex in the shield to do this. Then tighten the screws. I have replaced mine about 4 times like this. I always put masking tape across the top of the fairing so I want accidently scratch it. Good luck.
Too much work and fussin for nothing. As stated start from the center and go out, you just have to be careful not to drop the new well nut into the fairing. Pretty soon it will be a piece of cake for you.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
rookie racer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so can i pull the old well nut out of the foam and put it on the winsheild?start it that way. looks like the well nut is cocked , i think that is why it won't catch threads . i will try with the middle first and work my way out.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
Too much work and fussin for nothing. As stated start from the center and go out, you just have to be careful not to drop the new well nut into the fairing. Pretty soon it will be a piece of cake for you.
Not much work or fussin for me but hey....to each his own. I found it eliminated pushing well nuts through the fairing.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by meintel
If you have the manual it tells you to put the well nuts on the windshield first and then push it into the holes on the fairing. This way works really well because you can start the well nut first.
I think that sums it up

Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nocages4me
So what is the easiest way to change the front fork oil on a Road Glide. The manual basically tells you to pull the whole front end. When I was younger and helped my dad we would drain it and re-fill it thru the drain plug but it was kind of a pain. We made a pump that fit the drain hole but you had to hold it in place while you pumped in the new oil and then pull it off really quick and get the screw in before you lost too much oil. Major pain and not as accurate as it should be. There has to be an easier way to do it.
1. pul the speedo housing/fork covers.
2. remove 36mm fork cap bolts
3. remove drain bolts on fork legs
4. go drink a beer
5. put plugs back in
6. pour in appropriate amount of oil through the top (10.8oz if i remember right)
7. reinstall cap bolts and speedo housing.
8. ride.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

Originally Posted by OG1
1. pul the speedo housing/fork covers.
2. remove 36mm fork cap bolts
3. remove drain bolts on fork legs
4. go drink a beer
5. put plugs back in
6. pour in appropriate amount of oil through the top (10.8oz if i remember right)
7. reinstall cap bolts and speedo housing.
8. ride.
cool thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
rookie racer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help everone. I finally understand. start the wellnuts on the windsheild, push through holes. tighten.