Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front forks, loud "BANG" noise ('09)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front forks, loud "BANG" noise ('09)

I'm puzzled and would love to hear your opinions on this.

After having the chrome front end installed on my Road Glide, whenever I hit a modest bump or dip in the road, I hear (and FEEL) a load BANG in the front forks. It feels as if the tire is deflated Define 'bump' or 'dip'? Many parking lots, side streets and driveways have a shallow v-shaped gully running parallel to the road to assist with rain drain-off. When I slowly go over these (low rpm, 1st gear) I'll hear the sound as if the front tire has no air and it's hitting on the rim. If I'm riding down the road and there is a modest but abrupt dip in the road, it'll happen then also. You ever ride down the road and there's a shallow dinner plate sized piece of asphalt missing (not even close to a real pot hole mind you) and simply "b-bump" right over it? On my Roadie, I'll get that bang sound. I've ridden the same roads with my other bike (also '09) and it just rolls over things just fine. It's to the point that when I see any imperfection in the road, I cringe. I know something isn't right, and I already know the dealer will address it, I'd merely like to know what it is so I know it's being addressed correctly.
If it were possible for the oil in the forks to hydro-lock thereby effectively turning the forks into a rigid fork, I'd say it "feels" like that.

Is it possible that there's "too much" or "not enough" oil in the forks? What on earth could make the forks produce such a loud crashing "bang" noise?

My frustration is clouding my assessment, and there's no better place to get potential answers than here right?!!

Thanks,
Da Butcher

Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish I had the answer because I too am experiencing this situation. I can't figure out what it is. Perhaps purely coincidence, but my bike also has a full chrome front end (came like that from the dealer when new). In the garage, I can't get it to duplicate the sound by banging on different components. Definately coming from the front, very likely suspension-related. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one for sure.

Oh yeah, and I changed my fork oil not too long ago, and I am 10000% sure that I put in EXACTLY the right amount of fluid. And I have no leaks to speak of, so that tells me that the fluid is still in there.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also get this bang noise when I am slowing down, say for a speed bump, at slow speed when I grab the front brake. Not sure what it is either, but doesn't do it all the time.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Check the fork fluid level. I had exactly the same noises and tracked it down to the fork oil. Topped it up and everything was good again.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by GzrGlide
Check the fork fluid level. I had exactly the same noises and tracked it down to the fork oil. Topped it up and everything was good again.

How exactly did you "top it off"? From what I read in the SM, besides just adding the correct amount the first time, the only way to measure the level is by using the special HD tool (but that requires taking the spring out to measure it).

Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the steering head torqued properly? The Dyna's had that problem, due to the wrong size washer.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fersure recheck steering head bearing clearance.......The steering head bearings might be too loose.

It's also possible fork oil level is too low, or was reassembled wrong.....I have experienced spring slap where fork spring 'slaps' against fork tubes along their length in the fork tubes, but there sould be NO change in 'normal' noises just because you swapped to chrome lowers.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bamorris2
How exactly did you "top it off"? From what I read in the SM, besides just adding the correct amount the first time, the only way to measure the level is by using the special HD tool (but that requires taking the spring out to measure it).
After I eliminated everything else as the cause, I went to the dealer and talked to the only mechanic I trust. He took the bike for a ride, drained the oil, and re-filled it. Took care of the noise and it's been fine since. From what I remember, he just measured how much fluid to put in and poured it in.

Last edited by GzrGlide; 07-22-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Was the steering head torqued properly? The Dyna's had that problem, due to the wrong size washer.

I didn't even think of that because I checked & adjusted the steering head at my 1000 mile service (now has 6000 miles)... I just spent the last hour in the garage again adjusting the star washer and torque. I error'd a little in the tight side versus the loose side. I'll report back tomorrow whether or not it helped. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take care with "too tight". It can cause a high speed wobble.

Best way to check fall away on the steering head bearings is to slip both left/right hand controls off the bars and do it by the book.........If you have internal bar wiring, then that is impossible.

Quick Reply: Front forks, loud "BANG" noise ('09)