Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife concerned about my riding again

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Wife concerned about riding again - Helpful hints anyone?

Evening y'all. My wife has been brave and talked a big talk about riding again until she watched me leave on a demo ride Saturday. Seeing me ride off made her feel anxious. In her words, since my accident, now the possibility of me or her getting hurt, "seems more real." For me, riding on that demo ride was a helpful thing. The only thing that I think will help her is the same, riding again.
On the other hand, I don't want to force anything on anyone and I won't force anything on her.
Any helpful hints or suggestions out there? I might inquire especially from the ladies who ride or who "ride behind" for suggestions.
Thanks y'all. Grace and peace.

Last edited by pastorralph; 07-19-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: title
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 AM
acftdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you learned something from your accident. Explore the how's and why's. Make sure you don't get yourself in that situation again. Aside from that do everything you can to learn more about staying alive on a bike. Read David Hough's (pronounced Huff) books, Ride Like a Pro videos, etc. Make your riding mindset similar to flying a fighter jet. Mission: Stay alive.

Do this on your own. Don't push anything on the 'OL. She'll come around when she see's your positive attitude and the fact that you're taking things a little more seriously.

Consider your wreck a tough lesson, and move on. Don't throw in the towel just yet, life's too short.

Best of wishes and ride safe.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Glad to see that you and your wife are here with us to share this photo of the previous bike and that your looking at getting back in the saddle. Best wishes to you both.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM
dlh62c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign up for a MSF class. Started riding in 1979....thought I knew it all. Signed up for the class in Oct of 05. It was the best $200 I ever spent. It changed my whole riding style.

daryl

Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain

She wasn't with me in the accident and it the cause was my stupdity. Perhaps a MSF class would be a good experience and a confidence builder for us both.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Red face

Originally Posted by dlh62c
Sign up for a MSF class. Started riding in 1979....thought I knew it all. Signed up for the class in Oct of 05. It was the best $200 I ever spent. It changed my whole riding style.

daryl
How so? I'm not a "hell on wheels" kind of driver. This is only the second vehicle accident I've been at fault on in 30 years of driving. The first one was when I was 16... in gravel... in a pickup...

Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by dlh62c
Here in Illinois(S is silent)..Our MSF classes are free,They do take donations anyway they are exelent and HIGHLY recomended!!! But as far as riding again i cant talk from expierance for i have not had an accedent but life is for learning and if we learn from our mistakes we become wiser and stronger.This is a tough question as we need to look deep down and see what is important in our lives..I love to ride BUT often think what would happen to my family without me!I plan to ride for a long time as i enjoy it so but i think if i took up golfing it would be much safer..And i would get more exersise!!! Good Luck with your dilemma. R.W.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorralph
How so? I'm not a "hell on wheels" kind of driver. This is only the second vehicle accident I've been at fault on in 30 years of driving. The first one was when I was 16... in gravel... in a pickup...
It's not about whether you're a "hell on wheels" kind of driver or safest one on the block.

You might learn something in the class that you didn't know you were were doing. Or you might learn something you were doing was being done wrong. It doesn't hurt to get some education about riding and you can get a small break on your bike insurance for taking the class.

Also, maybe taking the class, your wife might feel a little better about you riding and eventually climb back on. Or have her take it with you just so she'll understand what all actually goes into being a rider in control of the bike.

Either way, you can't go wrong taking a class.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorralph
She wasn't with me in the accident and it the cause was my stupdity. Perhaps a MSF class would be a good experience and a confidence builder for us both.
That is a great idea. I have tried to get my wife to a MSF class but she wont go. She had a boyfriend in high school try to teach her how to drive a stick shift and it didn't go well. So the changing gears thing has got her all nervous. She had a couple of lady friends take the class, one had a great time and went on the get her motorsickle endorsement. The other got scared, hated it a and dropped out. Guess whose advice she took.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Go ahead and buy a new bike for yourself let your wife help pick
the color or something that away in her mind that will be ya'lls
bike. As she sees your confidence grow her confidence will grow
right along side yours.

Last edited by 6 gun; 07-20-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Wife concerned about my riding again