Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife concerned about my riding again

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode as a kid. I rode for 15 months/10k miles this past year (as an adult -47-) until my accident. Do I need to take the beginner course or the refresher course? Or is the Rider's Edge course a better (albeit more expensive and far more distant) option?
I have to go to refresher classes to drive a school bus for my soccer team, why not go to a class to do something I really enjoy and love?

Last edited by pastorralph; 07-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

patience is the key IMHO

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Phoenix Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorralph
Phoenix, I think your story is what she may be afraid of. I realize it's unfounded and slightly paranoid, but "feelings are facts too" as an old preacher said to me. I'll just have to be patient. Don't want to take off for Atlanta traffic just yet, but I would like to be back riding soon.
Then I agree with the other posters...you're the problem not her. She's picking up your nervous vibes.

Dude......buy a boat.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

You guys are harsh! What nervous vibes? I'm talking about her feelings. Who likes riding in Atlanta? I don't want a boat.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
patience is the key IMHO
You're probably right. By the by, I like your sig quote. It reminds me of something I saw in a steel mill in Birmingham, AL "Old age and craftiness will win out over youth and exuberance every time."

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Phoenix Rider
Intermediate
Default Not harsh, just realistic!

You guys are harsh! What nervous vibes? I'm talking about her feelings. Who likes riding in Atlanta? I don't want a boat.
Listen, so what. You wrecked a bike. It was your fault. Like you said, you wrecked a truck before, but I bet you still drive an automobile. So, what's the difference.

If you want to buy and ride a motorcycle, THEN buy and ride a motorcycle. If your wife wants to crawl on the back with you, then she will when she wants to, and if she doesn't want to then she never will. But she's not going to WANT TO until you show her you ARE NOT AFRAID TO. No rider wants to sit on the back with a shaky driver.

So, go buy the Harley and take off! She'll probably jump back on in no time.

Sorry, but I've read all your posts on this thread and it sounds like you're still a little nervous yourself.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

I rode as a kid. I rode for 15 months/10k miles this past year (as an adult -47-) until my accident. Do I need to take the beginner course or the refresher course? Or is the Rider's Edge course a better (albeit more expensive and far more distant) option?
I have to go to refresher classes to drive a school bus for my soccer team, why not go to a class to do something I really enjoy and love?
It doesn't sound like you need to learn how to ride. I took the MSF course (again) as a refresher on what to look for out there (and to support a friend who wanted to take it). It's kinda evolved into more of course to get folks their license than it used to - but they do teach you what to look for as far as hazards. That's the thing I wanted out of the class.

As for my wife who said, "No more motorcycles!" - she is to this day NOT ok with me riding to/from work due to the horrible traffic. She IS ok with me going out on the long weekend rides and somehow feels there is less traffic. Of course, we all know that there are potential hazards anywhere, but it seems only time increases her confidence as I keep returning in one piece!

I don't blame anyone for being nervous...crashing hurts and sometimes kills as we have seen on this forum.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

I wondered about the class. Since several folks had mentioned it, I thought it might be helpful. I had spoken with my dealer about the intermediate class before. I was more concerned with my wife's confidence. Thanks all.

Last edited by pastorralph; 07-20-2009 at 08:51 PM.