Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife concerned about my riding again

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6 gun
And one more thing, that which don't kill you
makes you build a bigger engine
Yeah. The 09s are great. 96" adds a little umph my 04 didn't have. Of course, they also have some stability and smoothness my 04 didn't have either.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd suggest you both take the MSF class and she not only will understand the whys and hows of riding but will show her your dedication to riding safely. Since there is safety in numbers, ask her to ride with you with a group of friends whose riding you and she trust. She'll have other females to lean on for support there. Get back riding as quickly as you can. It will take some time for you to get over your chicken sh*t nerves but you can do it if you really want to. SOme of the best times my wife and I have had are riding our bike. If yours is likewise, remind her of this.

Good luck

Bubba

Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

We've had great times in the short time we had our bike. She's not a rider yet, just a passenger. Our closest MSF class has been derailed because they've started construction at the school where it takes place and dug up the parking lot that was the course! It won't be long I hope until we are riding again. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I would NOT try to tell you what to do about this situation however, thousands of people are injured or die in this country every day. And a FEW of them are even riding their motorcycle when it happens. ----- Just a thought for ya.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, so my wife isn't the only one eh? I rode bikes all of my younger days and was hit by a mac truck when I was about 20 years old on my motorcycle. I was not at fault but everyone in my family and my wife (back then girlfriend) said, "No more motorcycles!" At the time, I thought it was a good idea myself considering the places handlebars went that were reserved for private affairs and all of the bones I broke.

However, something hit me not long ago that I need to cut loose on something again...It was riding I was missing so much. I got a bike (My current, 04 Electra Glide) and oh sheit was I scared of EVERYONE on the road. I was just sure that every single person had a bullseye on me and could not get over being anxious! I took the MSF course again and I just had to ride it out. Eventually, I felt comfy again. I am still scared of everyone, but I have the confidence I am looking out for them and am able to really enjoy myself.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
SADDLEQUEEN09
6th Gear

I have to agree with another reply, she will feel better and have more confidence as she sees that you do. Make sure you are supportive of her feeligs, she may have higher anxiety at times depending on what kind of ride you are going on and how far. Your wife must love you alot or she wouldnt bother feeling concerned. Take care and good luck

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Phoenix Rider
Intermediate
Default From: "Ride Behind"...

I will try to make a l-o-n-g story short, though there was nothing short about the 14 surgeries, nor the 8-months recovery from my husband's motorcycle accident. Fast forward--2 years and 8 months later we walk out of the dealership, Harley owners again. There was no doubt he would own and ride again, because he said so on the 12th day in ICU when he finally came out of his coma. I had almost 3 years to relax....then came the day it was a reality. After watching him struggle through 5 months of learning to walk all over again, I didn't have the heart to show fear. Don't think for 1 minute that I wasn't afraid, I was. I wasn't afraid of him or the motorcycle, I was afraid of everything that was on the road, near the road, that could run across the road...endless possibilities. We both road very alert and a tad "paranoid" for about the 1st month. Then slowly but surely, it just faded away.

He and I just returned from a 3,100 mile trip through the Rocky Mountains and made our 1st mountain trip to the tune of 14,000 feet elevation! For me, not only have I overcome the fear of "it happening again" but I am scared of heights!

So, all in all, you are correct. There is no cure except "SADDLE UP AND RIDE AGAIN!" Besides, what are the odds of it happening again? Who knows, so why miss out on something you really enjoy.

If you had an automobile accident would you/she never drive again?

Ride while you can...Live to Ride...Ride to Live!

PS: If she is exceptionally nervous, offer her short trips away from traffic for a while to ease back into it!

Good luck from "Been there, done that!"

Last edited by Phoenix Rider; 07-20-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FOXYHARLEYBABE
I have to agree with another reply, she will feel better and have more confidence as she sees that you do. Make sure you are supportive of her feeligs, she may have higher anxiety at times depending on what kind of ride you are going on and how far. Your wife must love you alot or she wouldnt bother feeling concerned. Take care and good luck
Yeah. I'm not sure how to show her how much confidence I have-- don't have a motorcycle right now...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Phoenix, I think your story is what she may be afraid of. I realize it's unfounded and slightly paranoid, but "feelings are facts too" as an old preacher said to me. I'll just have to be patient. Don't want to take off for Atlanta traffic just yet, but I would like to be back riding soon.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

When I took the class my father-in-law insisted that I make my wife take the class also. Just being able for her (and me) to get comfortable with the experience in a controlled environment was very helpful. My wife ended up getting her own bike. My father-in-law has ridden all his life but had not been on a bike in the past ten years. After discussions with his son, daughter and me (we all took the class) he is convinced that we are better riders because of it and has enrolled to take the intermediate class in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Wife concerned about my riding again