Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG

My 2 month project is over. Here is the final info. First, would I do it again? No. I'm very happy I did it and more than satisfied with the results. But thinking back, I realize the bike did everything it was supposed to without the BB. I never had to get off and push it up hills. Any power I needed was just a downshift away. I definitely don't need to downshift now. Here's what it cost.
I installed the Wiseco BB kit, $330, had Wiseco (actually Newcombe Distributors, a Wiseco affiliate) do the boring of my cylinders $100. Geardrive Andrews 26G cams, installation kit, $660. Used cylinders off ebay, $62. Installation $572. Spark plugs, oil and shop supplies, etc., $30. I did go with the SERT tuning due to all the recommendations on this forum. $671. Just a note about tuning. I told the guy Idid NOT want the SERT and tuning unless I needed it. He said he would put it on the dyno and make a decision after making a couple of pulls. Lean, though not that bad. So we did the SERT. Don't know how to post graphs but here are the numbers. A/F at idle 13.2. Cruise A/F 13.8 to 14.2. WOT A/F 12/7. Dyno numbers with 88 engine, Harley Stage1, V&H true dual headers and SE slip ons. 67 HP & 80 TQ. BB and cams without tuning. 77 HP & 95 TQ. Final numbers with tuning. 84HP & 103 Tq.

Some thoughts on dyno numbers versus real world power. I'll use my VTX 1800 as a barometer as the dyno numbers are similar to the Harley. Forget about brands. I mention these for dyno thoughts. My VTX makes 92 HP and 106 TQ. While that's not much of a difference on a dyno from the Harley, the REAL WORLD performance is frankly, far apart. The VTX has 250 more cc's so I would expect it to be the more powerful bike and it is. The difference is substantial. I wonder why the numbers are so close but the performance really isn't. The VTX feels like 20 more hp and the same on torque. I see some of the dyno numbers on the forum mine included and I wonder how we are pulling these numbers with mild build up's. A high performance build up on the Harley engine would be perfectly capable of thumping my VTX. The numbers just seem to be too big for mild mods. On the other side of the argument I don't see how we can all be wrong about the dyno numbers. All just food for thought and discussion.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG

Doesn't look like you had headwork.

Headwork and a good 2-1 pipe.

Sounds like what's missing.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto the 2-1. Dyno's differ. If you want to compare numbers you should only compare on the same dyno. Also, tuners can make the numbers anywhere they want. The proof is in the performance. Your's sounds a bit rich which is how dealer's tune. $671 is just too damn much for tuning! Unless that inculdes the cost of the SERT. I paid $250 and it was done in 45 minutes. I have a stock 88 with SE AC and Rinehart 2-1's. Numbers: 75HP 80 Torque. But that's just numbers. Bottom line is before my SERT tuning I was on a solo road trip and struggled with torque and mileage. After the tuning I took my wife to Bryce Canyon. Had all the torque both low and high that I needed and averaged 48 MPG. Couldn't be happier!
Name:  Sert20060510.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  139.1 KB

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty happy with the overall performance of my bike. A well tuned, stage one 88", is a pretty decent set-up. BB=more power=more $$$. Sure, I'd like it, but do I really need it? NO!

Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all I don't know what you mean buy the numbers being close on the two bike's. Your talking 8HP difference & 3TQ correct? I'd bet that the VTX TQ and HP power range comes on a lot sonner, and with that extra TQ & HP that's why it fells like a 20HP difference. Like OliverClozoff said, Head work and a good 2-1 would make a big, big difference.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can't compare peak hp/tq numbers, its all in the curve. I am sure thats why the VTX "feels" stronger.

Btw............You made as big as a mistake as I did, by not doing any headwork.
But Iam in the process of rectifying that mistake

Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

You can't compare peak hp/tq numbers, its all in the curve. I am sure thats why the VTX "feels" stronger.

Btw............You made as big as a mistake as I did, by not doing any headwork.
Hey Bruce00,

Can you post your specs and your Dyno sheet? I would like to see what mistakes you are talking about.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: PipeDADDY

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

Hey Bruce00,

Can you post your specs and your Dyno sheet? I would like to see what mistakes you are talking about.
All my info is on my old computer, and I haven't had a chance to transfer everything over. But if you look at the link I posted you will see my before and after dyno tune. The bike really comes on strong around 2300 rpm's but it stops pulling around 5K. Beside new heads & cams would get me closer to the 100/100 mark that Iam aiming for

https://www.hdforums.com/m_300906/mpage_4/tm.htm

Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

Just can't do the 2 into 1 on the bagger. Doesn't look right to me. I was thinking the numbers are excellent, particularly the torque numbers, I mean 103 TQ ain't too shabby. I intended to do the heads but circumstances took over and I couldn't do them. I may do them next year, but right now the bike is all I expected and more. My tuneing did include the price of the SERT. My 2 into 2 V&H headers doesn't seem to have hurt anything. Any more torque and I'll have to take driving lessons. BTW, today I rode 74.3 miles today and filled up to check gas mileage. It took 1.55 gallons. That comes to 47.78 MPG. I have never gotten over 43 MPG before. So this was a very pleaseant surprise, though I did expect a slight increase in MPG.
Gary

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading this post again I find something very hard to believe[sm=confused06.gif] you said that you are getting 103TQ and you have stock heads? Man That's almost unbelievable, I know several guy's that have BB with head work done and their not at 100TQ how can that be? I have Twin cam 97"BB, Heads, cams, S&S carb, Doherty PowerPacc Air cleaner, Twin Tec Ignition with a 2-1 Exhaust system and I'm only geting 98HP & only getting 104TQ. ????????[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG