Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:16 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG

I can only go by what my sheet reads. The dyno shop, Skip's in Winchester, Va. has a stellar reputation. He DID NOT perform the engine work so he wasn't under any oblgation to provide big numbers. Anyway if you read the part of my post where I compare to dyno sheets and performance to my VTX then you probably would figure that I' m skeptical about my own numbers, as well as many other dyno sheets I see. But no matter what, the performance I now have is undeniable. I can go up just about any incline in high gear. I could not have said that before the mods.

Gary

Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

After reading this post again I find something very hard to believe[sm=confused06.gif] you said that you are getting 103TQ and you have stock heads? Man That's almost unbelievable, I know several guy's that have BB with head work done and their not at 100TQ how can that be? I have Twin cam 97"BB, Heads, cams, S&S carb, Doherty PowerPacc Air cleaner, Twin Tec Ignition with a 2-1 Exhaust system and I'm only geting 98HP & only getting 104TQ. ????????[sm=confused06.gif]
Ya know.... A week ago, I'd have agreed with ya and bet the store on it.

HOWEVER, last Saturday, we installed a set of 95" jugs that PipeDADDY had bored at a local shop, and a set of TW26A's (chain drive, not gear) in his otherwise stock 2005 RG. He also has a Big Sucker A/F, D&D slip-ons, and a PCIII.

We had it dyno tuned this week and the number are strikingly close to those posted in this thread. Pipe posted his dyno sheet in the bagger dyno thread.

If I had not built the motor and been there to see it get tuned, I would not believe it either!

[sm=smiley29.gif]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

[sm=gears.gif] Yes...Those Andres TW26 cams are crazy. You will notice in the charts....the torque is all low end. It drops off fast after 5k RPMs. But down low...they move. I am so serious about the pull on my bike now. I got 98TQ with stock heads. (PhilM was right, I should have gotten the heads done, but there is always next year). That bike pulls!!!

harris48cars, what model year is your bike? 2006? I have a hunch it is.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:04 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awsome, with out comes like that with stock heads I feel cheated.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 AM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

We have a suspicion that 2006 stock head are better than the 04/05 stock heads. We are guessing they generate about 3-5 HP/TQ more with similar builds. Just a hunch we need to see proved out.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

I have an 02 RKC. I have some thoughts about why my bike seems to respond so well to the mods I made. Not being a mechanic I must admit this is total speculation on my part. But! Unlike the Harley jugs and slugs which are not bored and honed to a perfect fit (Mass produced), my Wiseco parts were bored and honed so that each piece compliments the other and fits like a glove. The backlash was wrong on my gear drive. It would have worked but it would have been tight (possibly creating a drag?). I was fortunate to have a builder that contacted Andrews and had them send and undersize bearing which put the backlash EXACTLY in the middle of psec.. Kinda like blueprinting I guess. And rather than tune for a straight line A/F ratio, my tuner staggered the rpm range for idle 13.2, cruise 14.2 and WOT 12.7. This must work as I am getting almost 48 MPG up from 43. Without mentioning names,, two head porters were honest enough to tell me I would have very little gain from doing a street port job with the rest of my combo. Porting may have done some good with a more high performance cam. I will think about some head work over the winter but frankly, if my bike continues to run like it does, why would I.
Gary
ORIGINAL: PipeDADDY

[sm=gears.gif] Yes...Those Andres TW26 cams are crazy. You will notice in the charts....the torque is all low end. It drops off fast after 5k RPMs. But down low...they move. I am so serious about the pull on my bike now. I got 98TQ with stock heads. (PhilM was right, I should have gotten the heads done, but there is always next year). That bike pulls!!!

harris48cars, what model year is your bike? 2006? I have a hunch it is.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:54 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

One last thing though I can't imagine it is a big deal. I used the .036 head gasket that crushes to .030/.033, giving a slight bump in compression.
Gary

Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 AM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

harris48cars,

One more thing. I think we would all like to take a look at your dyno chart. I can help you post it. If you want to email me a jpg or BMP. Whichever you want, I will get it up here for you. If you just have a hardcopy, simply take a picture with your digital camera with PLENTY of light, and I can get that posted for you too.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

I tried to get this done yesterday but ran out of time. Give me another day or two. I have the graph done before and after mods.
Gary

Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference in Bike weight? How about the Larger profile (barn door) of the harley fairing and those 2 doors on the back side called saddle bags? All those will make things different.

Quick Reply: BB, cams, tuning, prices, opinions, final thoughts, LONG