Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor (rotor/stator) removal on an '07

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotor (rotor/stator) removal on an '07

So I stop by the local dealer the other day to get gaskets for my primary. Tell the parts guy I need a gasket for the outer primary and whatever gasket/o-ring needed when removing the inner primary.

Him - "Why are you removing the inner primary?"

My first thought - "Because I f-ing want to." However I replied "I got the SE compensator assembly and it comes with a new rotor that I need to replace."

Him - "You don't need to remove the inner primary to get that rotor off on the newer bikes."

Me - "Really? In the service manual, I'm pretty sure it says 'See section 6.XX - REMOVAL OF PRIMARY CHAINCASE' when I was reading about removing the rotor."

Him - "Nope. Should just be able to pull it off there."

Fast forward a couple of days. Here I am with the primary open and the drive components removed. Guess what... the rotor won't come out. There appears to be a raised rim toward the lower front section of the inner primary that the rotor is hitting when I try to pull it out.

Question is - Am I just not holding my mouth right when I try to pull it off, or does the inner primary need to be removed to slide the rotor off like the service manual says? I think I already know the answer, but just want to confirm before I go back to the dealer for the gasket.

Moral of the story - when the parts guy asks you why you are doing something or why you need a gasket, just go with your gut and get it despite what they say.