Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Denis75
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty

How many of you bought the extended warranty? For an extra 5 years it's roughly $2000. Any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
tom73
Tourer

I say pass. Here are few reasons why.
1. Cost - not much you can't fix yourself for $2K.
2. If it doesn't break in the first two years it likely won't
3. You will have to worry if any upgrades you do will effect your warranty
4. Cost - If you are financing the cost adds up to $2500+ with interest. Save the cash up front and be prepared
5. Personally I don't buy a warranty on anything. I figure if I skip the warranty on everything I buy I can insure myself. I have had things break in the past where the warranty would have covered it but I am sure I have saved over $10K in the past 15 years on warranties and only been burned for less than $300. Keep in mind I also had that $10K available to invest that is likely valued at $15K+ now.

Piece of mind has a value so if you sleep better having it then that is your call. I do all of my own wrenching and enjoy doing it too. No way to promise you won't have an issue but at the end of the day you are paying for insurance. For $2k you can insure yourself from almost any type of issue. Hell if the motor goes you can get a new crate motor for $3500 and sell your parts off for $1000+ and still be ahead of the curve. My opinion this is worst case scenario. A 5 year warranty is really only 3 since it comes with 2 years already.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM
sniperduce
Tourer

The 5 year HD Extended Warranty with the Tire & Wheel coverage was $1275 on my 08 Ultra 15 months ago.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought the extended warranty on my 04 Road King mainly because they knocked the 5 year plan down to $700.00 (7 years total) . Never had to use it, but it did help close the deal when I sold it in October of 08. Doubt it paid for itself, but it was nice not to worry. Since I now wrench at the local dealership I didn't bother with the warranty when I bought my 09 Street Glide.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. You can shop for a better price--try Zanotti's HD.

2. Before you buy, take 10 minutes to read the contract paying particular attention to the exclusions from coverage. It's a pre-printed contract that your dealer will have.

3. It's an extended SERVICE plan; not an extended warranty so it can be much tougher (and is) regarding exclusions from coverage.

I used to recommend buying the ESP for pre-'07 bikes for buyers who were high mileage (10K miles or so) riders because the cam chain tensioners would need to be replaced during the life of the contract. With the changed/improved hydraulic tensioners on the '07 and newer models, the ESP is far less attractive IMO.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer

I got the extended warranty and the road hazard on the tires the whole thing cost me $1250.00 last October. It is just an insurance policy kind of like medical ins. If you don't use it it is not worth it but if something happens it is worth it. I am tired of wrenching so I don't even do my own oil changes. It is a gamble either way but I chose to gamble on the safe side. I did run over a nail when I had 4/32nds on my rear tire it saved me a few hundred bucks I hope I run over one on the front soon. With the prices of parts going up it won't take much to pay for the extended warranty if something big happens and if it does you will be glad you got it. If you like to wrench on your bike then it probably will not be worth it. Me I am in my 50's with several hobbies a job, grand kids and a wife I just don't have time any more. I am one of the lucky ones my dealership has some great techs and will do pick up and return delivery on my bike for free. I just call and they come and get it they call me when it is done and then return it not a bad deal for me.

Attached Thumbnails extended warranty-p1010010.jpg  

Last edited by Raptor1956; 07-17-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I just bought a 2 year ESP 30 days before the original one died...$950.00 ...Put 34000 miles on the bike in 2 years and planning to do the same in the next 2 so it gives me peace of mind when travelling... I have used extended warranties in the past and they have come in handy...Odds are you won't have to use them though...ODDS.... that's all insurance is right?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Had the extended warrenty on the 00 EGC and now have it on the 07 Ultra. $50.00 has just paid for new radio and tranny main shaft and bearings, plus all the labor. Not to bad for 46K miles.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought the 5 yr.3 yrs ago.
To date the lifters have been replaced,shift shaft seal and shift shaft.The shift shaft seal is leaking again.
I'm slowly recovering the money I paid up front.

Would I do it again,I dont think so.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought it when I got the bike. I was having the 103 upgrade and a mess of other mods and bling put on. I didn't finance and figured the cost of the warranty was a small percentage of the $35K I was sinking into the bike.

They're replacing the chrome inner primary because the chrome bubbled, put a new braided line on the oil pressure gauge because it was leaking and now are removing the oil pressure gauge because it still leaks and had a bubble on the dial.

Quick Reply: extended warranty