Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
KSievers
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help

Up front, apologies.. new here.. I'm sure this has been beat to death but I don't know where to start here..

Presently I ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I know it's apples and oranges to a big HD cruiser, not to mention the $$.

Just finished a 2k mile trip from mid-OK to Steamboat, CO and back. Looking for major improvement and would appreciate feedback from experienced HD distance riders.

my frustrations with V-Strom:

1) you get beat to death in the wind. Wind is OK but the buffeting sucks
2) working too hard at high speed... in rural "no-where" parts of the world it'd be nice to cruise at 90-100 and get 'er done
3) overall stability

questions:

1) will a Road King get it done or will I wish I had the Ultra?
2) as I say, wind is part of riding, but do you get that "beat your head to death" buffeting on either model HD? is that Road King windshield enough?
3) how is stability in open plains cross winds?

thanks for any and all help and pointing me to this info if it's already here somewhere.. I appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

It's not an ultra, but I have no problems with long distance touring on my 2000 FLHTPI (retired decommissioned cop bike), which has the same batwing fairing as the Ultra, hard saddle bags, but no tour-pak (though you can add one if wanted). The batwing provides better wind and rain protection for the rider than does the removable RK fairing. Some people even purchase aftermarket quick-detach batwing style fairings for their RKs to get the benefits of the batwing. You can also look at the Electra Glide (EG), EG Classic. EG Custom. Just different degrees of accessory fitment with the same touring chassis as the Ultra Classic

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink either will do for your issues...both great bikes...

basically the same bike, the Ultra being for old fogies and geezers, a few more bells and whistles, storage for Geritol, etc., while the Road KING is for the youg gun, cool guys.

Took a trip to Laughlin this year, and the cross wind in the desert was really something going 2-up at 80mph-- but the KING handled it just fine--- -no problem over the Grapevine either ----the Ultra, I'm guessing would be a bit better due to the more elaborate fariring and lowers.

So, really, if you are under 50, and still have a sliver of youth left in ya, then the KING, otherwise the Ultra.

(hehehe)

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I know my road star that I traded for my ultra was pretty much functionally similar to a road king. I absolutely love the protection I get with the ultra. I also love the stereo, cb, extra storage and cruise control that I get on my ultra. Seems a no brainer for me. I would never have gone to the expense of trading my yamaha for a road king (although I love the look and ride of the RK's it just wouldn't have been enough of an upgrade.)

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 873 Likes on 516 Posts

As others said they are the same frame (Street Glide is 1' lower) and engine. I had a Dyna Glide with the Harley "sport" windscreen that stopped most of the wind buffeting but let a lot of air on me to be very comfortable in the summer. I really enjoy the batwing on my new Electra Glide Classic although it can a little warm during the summer with very little wind flow on your body. Watch a rider behind an HD fairing and you will not see their clothing blowing around. The fairing is very effective at stopping the buffeting as well as rain. A couple of weekends ago the GF and I got caught in a mild rain for 10 miles. She was pretty well soaked on her Sportster with the small windscreen while the only part wet on me was from the knee down. If I had lowers on I would have been wet at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

Everyone goes thru this...you'll end up buying the King for now then as you get older the Ultra will appeal to you more. Some just end up buying a quick detach fairing for the King, which saves a ton of money. Ride safe.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
KSievers
6th Gear

thanks for the help . .. I AM old already... might as well go for the Ultra... actually, I think I'll try to rent one or an RK for a long weekend or such.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra is the only way to. Renting one to try is a great idea. You'll love it.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM
KSGG
Cruiser

I went from a 900 Vulcan Classic to my King. Regardless of what you do, the extra weight will be the biggest difference.
You won't get tossed around on a windy day on either bike, like you do on the 650. MPG's aren't that much of a hit. I get about 41 on my King, compared to 49 on the Vulcan.
Picking up a plastic metric is nothing compared to a steel Harley tourer.

I liked the looks of the fairing, but could care less about the tunes or cruise control. Didn't care for the "knee pads" on the engine guard either.

With a King you can pop the shield off in a couple of seconds and really change the look of the bike.
With a tourpak, you have the same luggage space as the Ultra when you need it, but can leave it off until then.

Take your time and go over the differences. You'll start to see things you like and dislike on both models and eventually decide on one.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer

Originally Posted by papa_freeman
... So, really, if you are under 50, and still have a sliver of youth left in ya, then the KING, otherwise the Ultra.

(hehehe)
Man! If 49 years, 11 months, 29-3/4 days is the cutoff for an RK that makes me relegated to an Ultra. Hmmm, @ 76+ I wonder - at what point do I fold my tent and set out for the sunset? Is there OEM support for out-rigger wheels, collision mats, pill boxes, collection bags, an automated pull-off-the-road-every-two-hours black box - and of course, OnStar?

Maybe I'll just invest in cigars and champagne instead.

Quick Reply: looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help