Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

An Ultra is no more and Old man's bike than a Sportster is a girl's bike.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSievers
Up front, apologies.. new here.. I'm sure this has been beat to death but I don't know where to start here..

{clipped}

questions:

1) will a Road King get it done or will I wish I had the Ultra?
2) as I say, wind is part of riding, but do you get that "beat your head to death" buffeting on either model HD? is that Road King windshield enough?
3) how is stability in open plains cross winds?

thanks for any and all help and pointing me to this info if it's already here somewhere.. I appreciate it.
I really love a thread that (1) attracts a lot of attention, and (2) draws a whole lot of good experiences and information... the real stuff, if you will.

KSievers, thanks for posting this - and thanks to all for your replies.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Life is too short to spend it behind a fairing.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Ultra's faring and lowers will give you more protection than the King's windscreen.
But it's a snap to pop the screen off the King for just riding around town.
I think the Ultra Tour Pack is slightly larger than the King's option.
I love my King, it's an incredibly versatile bike. I try not to do too much hiway (hate the boredom) and usually run river or mountain roads or around town, almost always without the windscreen. I can sort the King out solo or full on 2-up touring very easily. With accessories that are for the most part standard on an Ultra. A lot of folks love the speakers in the fairing and listening to music. I solved that on the King with a GPS and bluetooth receiver connected to ear buds.
Either bike will be 3 times the 650 you are used to. It's a great idea to rent each one for a day to see how you dig it. I rented a King a few years ago and started saving.

You can't go wrong.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Thundr56
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the RK and would like to have one along with my Ultra. What it boils down to is, if you take day trips or overnighters, the RK is great. But if you really go somewhere, you need an Ultra.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
.............. The Road King is a touring bike that can also be something else. The Ultra is a touring bike period.

Good luck.
Ditto... I bought my FXDWG after renting everything Harley makes but a Sporty several times... Originally bought my RK for my two-up riding sessions only, the WG is just more funner. I like riding the RK without the windshield most of the time. Add to that a 3 hour ride is about as long as mine ever really get, I just don't need all the Ultra offers. The RK can be a lot more sporty, an Ultra can't (IMHO)

Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Road King last Year and a Ultra this year. I honestly can't compare them to each other. To me they serve two different purposes. Riding solo on shorter trips the RK rocks. Riding two up on longer weekend rides, the Ultra rocks. If I get two bikes, these are the two I would chose.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The King and I have been the best of friends for the past five years. A few months back the misses and I happen into the stealership on my birthday (a significant one at that). I spy a gorgeous street glide and she says to me, "you can have it but you have to get rid of your Road King". Insurance, room in the garage, trying to be a rodeo clown and ride two bikes at once, all good reasons not to have two. And I couldn't pull the trigger. I stayed with the King. She's sweet and always is rearing to go. Besides, she's got the class to dress up and go to a tuxedo event and get sloppy wet in a rainstorm and carry me and the misses safely home. The King, not the misses...

Radio? Why would I need a radio when I have the sweet sound of the engine roaring down the highway.

Fairing? Get's in the way of a great view of the road and scenery.

The king and I will have many more happy miles together.

I wish you luck and can't wait to see your new sig pic with you and your RKC.

Good luck...

Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KSievers
Up front, apologies.. new here.. I'm sure this has been beat to death but I don't know where to start here..

Presently I ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I know it's apples and oranges to a big HD cruiser, not to mention the $$.

Just finished a 2k mile trip from mid-OK to Steamboat, CO and back. Looking for major improvement and would appreciate feedback from experienced HD distance riders.

my frustrations with V-Strom:

1) you get beat to death in the wind. Wind is OK but the buffeting sucks
2) working too hard at high speed... in rural "no-where" parts of the world it'd be nice to cruise at 90-100 and get 'er done
3) overall stability

questions:

1) will a Road King get it done or will I wish I had the Ultra?
2) as I say, wind is part of riding, but do you get that "beat your head to death" buffeting on either model HD? is that Road King windshield enough?
3) how is stability in open plains cross winds?

thanks for any and all help and pointing me to this info if it's already here somewhere.. I appreciate it.
I have an 09 RK and had an 07 RK classic before that so you can assume I like em. The majority of my riding is less than 200 miles a day and for that on occasion its nice to take off the shield and feel the wind. With the shield off, for me it starts to becom a nuisance around 75 mph. Once a year Jane and I head into mainland europe for a longer trip, 5000-6000 miles. With the screen on a comfortable cruising speed for me is an indicated 85 mph, which is actually closer to 80 mph actual. Both the bike and I can keep this up all day and 600 miles is easily achieved with little fatigue. To answer your last question, I've ridden in some pretty hefty crosswinds, two up with a tour pack and another large bag on the rack on top of that, and the RK never made me feel nervous or not in control.

If I ever need to change the RK I'll be buying another. I also like to have the option of taking the tour pack off when we stop fo a few day and hook it back up when I need it, and man that thing is large and can carry a lot of stuff. (Never enough for Jane though so hence the tour bag on top)

I am not sure which year your considering, but although I loved the 07 RK I have to say, that as a tool for the job the 09 model is much improved, I wont bore you with why as it has pretty much been cover elsewhere. Nut having said that I did the same sort of mileage on the 07.

Basically get what you like the look of, Ive never ridden the Ultra, but I doubt it will be any less capable than the RK, I just like the versitility of the RK and like to ride without a screen every now and then.

WB

Last edited by WildBill2566; 07-18-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon
The Road King is basically for touring wannabees who aren't strong enough to hold up a full-size Ultra. Good for small riders with manicured fingernails, plaid socks and ankle-high boots. The big, nostalgic clip-on fairing is good for keeping the wind from messing up your $500 haircut, and the red checkered bandana you would generally wear around your neck riding this bike. The leather saddlebags come with very pretty tassles and cute little sparkly buckles that shine in the light from the Starbucks when you pul in, and don't clash heavily with the 1970 brown leather jacket most Road King riders wear. Basically, the bike is a step-up for a cruiser rider that isn't quite ready for an Ultra. Maybe when they grown up or eat their Wheaties.

Buy the Ultra like the rest of us he-men.

:-)

Cannon
Or, if u r REALLY a he-man, not just a geezer, then get this one....
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJ...orcycle_02.jpg

Quick Reply: looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help