Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the RK Classic. I love it. My next big twin will be a Road Glide, I think, because of the fixed fairing that keeps the weight off the forks. YMMV

I think you are over optimistic about cruisin at 100 mph, though. 80 or 90, yes. Dunno about 100.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got both and like them both(wife has 650 VStrom)650 is great commuter bike.I would rent a Streetglide or at least think about it,unless you need the tourpack.If im going on a longer trip or feel like I need the radio the Ultra gets out.If im just cruzin or feel the need the Roadking gets out.Both bikes are great but if I only had one it would be the Ultra as that radio is addictive on trips.Renting will give you a good idea

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl
bottom line you have to make the decision. It is good to hear others opinions and rational, but best advice is test drive the ones your are considering. I am 56 and most likely my next bike will be a road king classic.

Best Luck with your decison and ride safe!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
bob46371
Cruiser

2009 FLHRC Vivid Black

I went from a Honda VT750 Shadow to the Road King... I love it's verstility...Most of the time I have the windshield, sissy bar and luggage rack off. for around the area and for a long Highway run the gear goes on .You can't do that with an Ultra... Besides Im only 58 I am not old enough for a Geezer glide yet.... lol.. It's up to you "that's why Harley makes several models... so you can choose the one right for you
Last week I returned from a 5200 mile run from IN to Ca and OR and the Road king will handle anything, better than any motorcycle will and do it with style.. IMHO

Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Default Ultra Classic vs. Road King

I have had both. I have the Ultra Classic now. I was only 35 when I bought my Ultra. The versitility of the Ultra cant be beat. I throw my laptop in my tour pack and my bag for work on the rear seat. I have nothing bad to input about the road king. I enjoy having the stereo on the Ultra and cant see riding without the radio. I live in Texas and it gets hot. Ultra's get hot. all air cooled bikes are hot especially in Texas heat. Try them both, you dont have to be over 50 to enjoy the Ultra. I have 3 friends that have Ultra's that are not even 40.

Jeff

Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer

So what's an '09 Ultra gonna cost after next week's '10 announcement, I wonder.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 Road King and love it. But, if you saw it you would swear it was an Ultra - the only difference is no intercom, no gauges, no antennas and no lowers. I have a fairing, cruise control, stereo, cd, xm and mp3, tour pack, big recliner touring seats - all of the goodies. What's great about all of it is that within about 10 minutes I can have every bit of it off and the bike looking almost outlaw. I thought I wanted the Ultra too and every once and a while I am in the dealer thinking about trading - but this past weekend the sales guy convinced me it's best to keep my King. He said sure you could have an Ultra but then all the fun you have had making your King your own would be for not - so I am keeping the King for now.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I've got one of each, both 2009s. The RKC is GREAT for around town/poker runs/etc. The Ultra is the bomb on the highway, in the rain, etc... If you are going distance, you'll wish you had the Ultra. JMO.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of opinions and lots of advice, and in my opinion this won't help you a bean...

As I stated in a previous thread and I believe passionately - buy the bike you love and don't worry about anything else!!

The only piece of advice I would add, and I was fortunate enough to discover that I had made - for me anyway - the right choice. I bought an Ultra because I loved it, wanted to include the missus and it was a cracking deal, but I could just as easily gone RK.

Since buying it, I discovered the option of a quick release kit for the Tour-Pak. That small investment, coupled with a low profile sporty seat means I can change between the 2 looks very quickly and easily - and now I REALLY love my bike.

Providing both bikes fulfill your functional criteria choosing a bike like this based on logic alone would be the equivelant of choosing between 2 women using a SWOT analysis!!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently have a 2007 Road King Classic but my '03 Ultra Classic was the absolute best riding and most comfortable touring bike I've ever owned. It's funny you should mention your trip to Colorado from Norman. I am from Idabel, Oklahoma and I rode my Ultra Classic to and from Golden Colorado which was 926 miles one way. I rode Goldwing for 32 years and these guys are going to get tire hearing me say that but the trip I took on my Ultra Classic was far more comfortable than any Goldwing I've owned out of 7. I rode the return trip home, 926 miles non-stop except for gas and pit stops on the Ultra Classic and would and could not have done that on a Goldwing. Even though my Road King Classic is a comfortable ride, I don't think it's fair to compare it with an Ultra Classic. IMHO

Quick Reply: looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help