Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 31 and I just decided to skip all that messing around and went straight for the full on geezer glide.

I just got a shorter windshield from LRS tonight and I'm loving it. I haven't hardly ridden my Sportster since I got it.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came from a V-Strom 1000, got a 09 Ultra. If yer gonna spend the money, might as well go all the way. No regrets, just got back from a Washington/Oregon trip. Pretty much the same thing I did last year on the 1000. No comparison. The 1000 was a good short commuter scoot but not made for the long haul. Get more than my fair share of wind here, just garage it when it gets above 50 mph. Bike is rock solid otherwise.

Last edited by tima; 07-16-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironbarr
Man! If 49 years, 11 months, 29-3/4 days is the cutoff for an RK that makes me relegated to an Ultra. Hmmm, @ 76+ I wonder - at what point do I fold my tent and set out for the sunset? Is there OEM support for out-rigger wheels, collision mats, pill boxes, collection bags, an automated pull-off-the-road-every-two-hours black box - and of course, OnStar?

Maybe I'll just invest in cigars and champagne instead.

I picked up my Ultra at 48.5 years young and and would do it again in a heartbeat. A buddy and I swapped bikes for a short run today. I liked his RK but have no plans to change. He liked my Ultra and is thinking about buying one.
Bottom line, buy what you like and the heck with what anybody else says. Having said that, I wouldn't mind adding another bike to the stable (of one), but no plans to get rid of the Ultra Classic!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Blueflame1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was 18, then 35 was old.

Now I'm 48 and still feel like 18 and party like a rock star, life is good !

So now have a Geezer Glige (Ultra Classic), Softail and a V8 BOSS HOSS....so, get what YOU want to, but for 2-up long distance riding you cant beat the ol' Ultra.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a 2004 Road King (in my sig below) for 5 years and loved it. When they came out with the new touring frame in 09 (plus upping the displacement to 96 back in 07) I couldn't resist getting a new bike. I work in a dealership and have to test ride several bikes a day. Buell Blasts to the Tri-Glides and everything in between. I went with the Street Glide, but had ridden every touring model multiple times before I made my choice. I'd recommend that you take any of the models you are considering out for a test ride or 2 and make your decision from there. Don't think you'll be disappointed with either the King or the Ultra.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I am too old for the dyna and I am too
young for the ultra, so, The Road King
Classic is just right for me

Old 07-17-2009, 02:35 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I am too old for an Ultra. Had one 15 years ago.

You do not want an Ultra in the summer in OK. All the Ultra owners will act like they disagree with me but deep inside they know it is a hot son of a gun. Other than that it is a great touring bike. So is the King.

The King will handle cross winds better than the Ultra with that big fairing. Same goes for headwinds. The Ultra probably gets half the gas mileage of the King in a strong headwind. The Road King is a touring bike that can also be something else. The Ultra is a touring bike period.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Rent both and decide from there what you like best. That's the only way to know for sure. I'm on my second Ultra and have never owned any other Harley model. My Brother in-law rides a Heritage Softail and I knew that I didn't want one fo those, but the Road King did appeal to me. My original plans were to buy the Road King, but then I started really thinking about all the things that I wanted and the kind of riding that I planned on doing and the more I analyzed it, the more the Ultra seemed to make more sense. So I bought my first Ultra in 2003. I removed the rear Tour Pack (trunk) and rode the bike around town with a smoked chopped windshield and low profile solo seat (Street Glide style, before that model existed). Then when I went on runs where I needed the Tour Pack, I just put it back on with my docking kit.

The nice thing about the Ultra is it comes with everything and you can take things off if you choose to, whereas with the Road King you have to add the things you want. There's a big difference in riding the two bikes, so this is where renting will help you decide.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Road King is basically for touring wannabees who aren't strong enough to hold up a full-size Ultra. Good for small riders with manicured fingernails, plaid socks and ankle-high boots. The big, nostalgic clip-on fairing is good for keeping the wind from messing up your $500 haircut, and the red checkered bandana you would generally wear around your neck riding this bike. The leather saddlebags come with very pretty tassles and cute little sparkly buckles that shine in the light from the Starbucks when you pul in, and don't clash heavily with the 1970 brown leather jacket most Road King riders wear. Basically, the bike is a step-up for a cruiser rider that isn't quite ready for an Ultra. Maybe when they grown up or eat their Wheaties.

Buy the Ultra like the rest of us he-men.

:-)

Cannon

Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Went from Road King to Ultra in 3 years. Well, You could do the rest of your homework on why I moved up.

Ultra rules,

Thorey

Quick Reply: looking at Road King and Ultra Classic - help