Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do we do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
dr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Why do we do it?

Why do we own and spend maga G's on our Harleys? I'm 43 been riding got my first mini bike [honda mini trail 50] for my 5th birthday and never been without one since. But until 2004 I never owned a Harley. Was always kinda loyal to Honda I guess because thats all my dad ever rode but I have also had Yamahas, Kaw's but never a Suz. After I bought a 04 V-rod I've bought 4 Harleys a Softtail Standerd, 2-RKC's and a SG, I loved them all and spent big bucks on them all. I got real sick in Jan 08, kick the bucket sick we thought but I made it through. I sold my RKC during that time because I figured I was a goner and could not take it with me. Anyway I just bought my 4th HD a Street Glide but before doing so I tried to force myself to look at other brands and I'll tell you there are some good non HD bikes out there for much less money but I could not make myself pull the trigger on anything but a Harley. Non belivers or I say non Harley owners including my dad always ask WHY? I can't really think of a good anwser so I just tell them, "If you have to ask, why a Harley?, you would understand, why a Harley!". So, Why do we do it?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can't answer the question yourself then you wouldn't understand :-)

If you're on a road trip on a Honda how many people are gonna admire the bike and ask you where you're headed and generally just chat? If you're on a Harley how many are gonna do the same thing? Nuff said. Besides for now anyway it's American made iron...built to last. I'm 43 myself and have NEVER owned a single foreign car (Course my Chevy trucks have been built in Canada for years) but it's all USA profit. I have had my share of Japanese dirtbikes, four wheelers and a few Suzukis before I could afford the Harley only because I loved to ride. Once I could own one I've never given any others a second look.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Im 48 and have followed the same path. Thats me in the avitar on my first mini bike. Bought my first HD last year after comining off one of many sport tourers including an ST1100, ST1300, Concours and even a Triumph Sprint ST. I can't tell you why we do it or how long it will last. With my track record, I'm always looking for something different. I decided to try this Harley thing and I must say I like it. Not to say that I miss every bike I have ever owned. I wish I could afford a stable of bikes and am even looking at buying a second (maybe a nice used Blackbird or VFR). I don't know if there is a clear answer on "why we do it" but like the old saying goes, "if it feels good, do it" might apply to the question>

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

I bought my first Harley at the age of 56.. am 62 now and on my second one. The reason I went Harley was to force myself to change my riding style. My pre-Harley ride (3rd bike) was an 1100 Suzuki rocket, and if I didn't slow down I would kill myself. Going HD has worked. When I recently went from my Dyna to the EG CLassic I actually considered the BMW RT, but the riding position did not suit me. The EG Classic did. It's only been ten days, but I am very happy with it.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Chucky
Cruiser

Why not?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My bike is a constantly evolving work of art and I'm the artist. I do like the complements and could care less about the off comments. I get great pleasure from my creation. If you don't...kick rocks. I didn't do it for you.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Life is just too short to ride ANYTHING else!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can never own another bike. The sound, the soul, the heritage....you can feeling every time you hop on the seat. My wife says just the crack of Harley pipes turn her on.....lol!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the answer is probably different for each person. In my case, I have ridden a lot of different brands and have owned some really fun and dependable machines, but I've never felt more comfortable than I feel on my Ultra Classic. Simply put, it "fits". I haven't had that feeling on the other brands that I've owned or ridden. I have thought about it often, and yet still can't quite say exactly what causes that difference. I just know that I have no doubts that I made the right choice each time I have bought a Harley. Its not for everybody, and what's important to one person isn't going to be important to another. But for me, Harleys have that extra "something" that's missing from the others.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM
ivel_86
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you for me (23years old) its not about being cool its not about being admired. Its about loving to ride. its about supporting the USA. It is about loveing to ride and being able to do anything you want to you bike... You can make your halrey your personel harley just from cheap aftermarket parts. Or go crazy. and spend hundred of thosands of dollars on it to make it your own. But one thing remains. We all love them.. We are all addicted to them and NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHY. we all have our own opinion. We have reasons we have logic but no one can really tell you for a fact why anyone else gets a Harley.

Quick Reply: Why do we do it?