Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scala Q2 User Comments Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad and I used them on a 2500 mile trip recently. We love them, it was really nice being able to communicate, directions, traffic etc. I believe they are the best on the market. Yes you get wind noise=, but it wasn't anything that was not tolerable. It rained on our trip and they worked great in bad weather too. Charge them up when you stop and good for the day. It was a great investment in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am pretty familiar with the Scala Q2 & the Zumo...I've posted about these before if you search my threads through my CP, but I'll comment here for those who aren't wanting to search.

I have a Q2 Multiset for bike to bike and have used it religiously for about 8 months.

Windnoise: Yes...it's there sometimes. My riding buddy wears a ff helmet as do I, but she usu flips her shield up. I've discovered knocking my volume down a notch or 2 knocks it out. The other poster who mentioned the flat vs. rounded mic covers is correct...I assume the rounded one (for 3/4 helmets) cuts down on noise. I like the scotch tape idea and will try it.

I'd posted a few weeks ago about the new Scala. It's due out Sept 4th or 9th or something...but who really knows. If I remember, it'll be called the G4 and improvements include up to 1 mile range, up to 4 users can talk simultaneously and, it'll be A2DP (stereo bluetooth) as opposed to the current headsets which transmit in mono. It also carries a whopping $299 sticker price for EACH headset. They will be backwards compatible w/ other Scala models.

The headsets work well most of the time. My biggest complaint is I frequently have issues w/ pairing. Occasionally, I have to futz with it to hear my primary buddy (other Scala)...most of the problems with pairing, though, are the Zumo and/or phone won't transmit...always at random times, but almost always at the start of a ride...this is annoying as it takes precious ride time away to resolve the issue. Can't be certain of the cause...Zumo, phone? Like the other poster, I think it has more to do with the Zumo and/or phone than the Scala itself. Adding other devices to the mix complicates everything. In any case, it's happened enough for me to copy the important pages of the manual so I now always have them with me on the bike.

I sold my brother on the system...so he can converse w/ his wife (passenger). He couldn't get it paired w/ his Zumo and phone...well, the Zumo said they were paired, he would "see" he had a call coming in on the screen of his Zumo, but he could never hear the Zumo or phone through his scala (he was able to speak w/ his wife through their headsets though). I screwed with it for about 30 minutes and got it working. You really have to go through the instructions carefully and patiently when pairing all that stuff.

I've used mine to speak with a 2nd person a couple of times...this pairing can be tricky and actually using it even trickier. It just takes some patience. Again, having a copy of the manual on the bike comes in handy in this case. The ability to talk to a 2nd Scala user IS a nice feature. I figured out the scala is a bit slow to react to the voice once you hit the button to talk to the 2nd headset...you have to be patient.

When I paired my headset with my brother's so I could be his 2ndary buddy, it knocked out his wife (primary buddy). We reset hers and re-paired them...frustrating, but at least it worked.

The voice sound quality is really nice. The distance it works is decent...probably better than most.

Sometimes there is static...probably just interference as it rarely happens and when it has, it's been in industrial or busy areas. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Earphone placement is key to how well you can hear. Like a cell phone, it the earphone is not over your ear, sound volume takes a dive. Easy enough to "fix" though.

I purchased a couple of extra mounting set-ups (earphones/mount/boom) through an eBay retailer (around $40 if I remember). This way, if you have other helmets, you can use your Scala. Of course, you can't use them with a 1/2 helmet unless it has something over your ears to attach the speakers to.

You can also buy a car charger. Again, ebay ~$12. If you have a cig lighter charger on your bike...you can charge it on the go...while you're wearing/using it.

As much as I've used mine, it's only died on me twice. 6-7 hours of riding has been no problem. To save battery life, it goes in standby mode when you don't talk for >30 seconds. The 1st time it quit on me was when I started out w/o it being fully charged, and the other time when we used it for a bunch of hours coupled with the wind noise keeping it from going in standby mode. The extra charger is handy in these situations. I have a Powerlet outlet w/ a cig lighter adapter. Works for me.

I've gotten so used to it, I don't like riding w/o it...spoiled I guess. I went out on my first ever long solo (6 hours) ride last week and loved having the GPS instructions in my ear as opposed to constantly squinting at the screen w/ my "old" eyes. As a bonus, I'd downloaded a ton of mp3's on my Zumo and had tunes...really nice! Yes, the sound fidelity was crappy, but certainly better than nothing...got my feet tapping anyway!

All in all, I'd recommend it if you are wanting such a device. None of them is flawless, but what technology is? I think it's probably the best out there at this time (I research these things a lot).

Oh, I have no connection or vested interest in the company that makes these things - Cardio Wireless.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
MChipperfield
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only echo my support of everyone's positive comments. I use 2 sets to talk with my wife as a passenger and my son on a second bike. One of the best investments made. Phone usage in a full face is awesome and the slight frustration with pairing is easily overlooked as the experience of bike to bike communication is amazing. The new version would have to pack a lot in for me to upgrade as the Q2 is quite good.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
autochek
Advanced

I have had similar issues with the rear passenger. Thanks for the tip on the tape over the mic. My only real complaint is slightly low volume on FM and also the radio reception is terrible.
Other than that, it works great. My Tom Tom Rider and cell have paired wonderfully to it.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
iMC Motorcom
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camos Bluetooth Headsets

If you are looking for sound quality I would really suggest checking out either of the forum sponsors headsets. The iMC or J&M headsets have high fidelity speakers that have been the standard of motorcycle quality for years.

The Camos BTS 300 headset will give you bike to bike intercom, high quality stereo sound, and cell phone functionality. I know that Cardo wanted to sell there headsets to Harley but Camos got the contract because of superior audio quality.

Check'em out here.

http://imcmoto.com/bluetooth.html

Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
blade76
Cruiser

There's a lot more experience out there than I have, but my experience with the Q2 in the last month has been phenomenal. My son and I used them bike to bike for well over 8 hours each way down and back to Daytona Beach (and they still were working when we arrived). A couple times when we stopped for food and shut them off it took a moment to reconnect, but they did. Even after four hours or more of use they worked over several hundred yards, but not as well outside of line of sight. I just want to add something for the sake of anyone researching the product. I saw a post on another thread that suggested the clamp device does not work on a full face Arai helmet and you must use the adhesive alternative. I have had no problem installing the clamp on two different styles of Arai full face helmets.