Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM
8post96
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailers

Hey, Im interested in getting a trailer for clothes and can use some input on the kind of trailer and hitches people have and the mods to the bike, do I need a stronger belt , any engine mods? I have a stock 04 Electra Classic Carbed with mikuni 42 and Vance and Hines monster Ovals Thanks 8post96

Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,826 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

We've been pulling a trailer behind one bike or another since 1998...I wouldn't leave home without it.
No, I don't believe you need a bigger motor or belt...you HD will do just fine. Now I don't mean you can pull a 18 foot camper....but any of the small cargo trailers will work, most are only 150 pounds or there abouts.

Check with you HD dealer, some go crazy if you have a trailer hitch on your bike...you would think that bid old Harley could haul around a 150 pounds of plastic, but HD thinks it'll hurt the bike ( give me a break)

As for trailers...well that's like oil or tires....everyone has their opinion on them...I have a Bushtec now, didn't start with one but work my way up to it...it's a sweet trailer, no bounce and pulls great...

Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
olddude
Intermediate
Wink

I have a Cycle Mate, and keep my camping gear in it, in fact we just came back from camping in the mountions here in socal. Didn't even know it was back there, had to keep checking the mirrors.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
hfdarson1
Cruiser

After a couple of months of research and not wanting to spend $4000.00 plus I decide on a Aluma MCTXL. It is in transit at this time Aluma MCTXL from www.thomasamerican.com. (salesperson Luke) Made in Iowa, U.S.A. with 5 year warranty. Delivery only to a business no residences $2000.00 including shipping to Houston. The trailer comes completely assembled in a crate 4'x8'. Some of the other places that sell Aluma Trailer you have to assemble them and they charge extra for the cooler tray. There are also some Aluma Lite and Aluma Line trailers out there that are actually Chinese products. According to my research they are made of thinner metal and 1 year or 90 day warranty. No it's not a Buschtec,Turtlehull or American Legend but I think over the years it will do just fine. I got the all diamond plate one and I don't have to worry about painting it each time I get a new bike.

Jerry

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See my sig.

www.uni-go.com

Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
dtmues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've got a bushtec turbo+2 http://www.bushtec.com/ & hitch from hitchdoc http://www.hitchdoc.com/. I did a lot of reserch & was told this was about the best setup you could get. We absolutely love our trailer.

If you want to do your research yourself, I strongly recommend the delphi forum posted earlier http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start.

The other trailers that interested me as far as styling and quality were the american legend http://www.american-legend.com/ and the grand national http://www.motorvation.com/mepg3.htm

hope this helps

Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
103Street
Advanced
Default Motorvation Trailer

I have a Motorvation trailer and use McHitch reciever style for the bike. Nice hidden setup and the dealers have never said anything about it. And I have pulled into the dealers to have work done with the trailer on back. If the dealer complains then take your money some place else. The nice thing with the Motorvation is the harley lights they use on them. They are spendy, but well worth the it.

Attached Thumbnails Trailers-streetglide-and-trailer.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a small trailer kit from Harbor Freight. $429.00 about 150 or so pounds. The Haul Master Tag-A-Long. Has a nice hard plastic clam shell carrier. Hope to have it completed this weekend for a test ride to see how it pulls. Getting the wireing harness from NAPA that has a power converter to get trailer light power from the battery instead of the bikes system. Hope that works too.

Quick Reply: Trailers